Pool heater shutoff?

dtrujillo63

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 25, 2015
Los Angeles
If I'm heating up my pool and my pump timer ends, should the pool heater automatically shutoff? If so, should it be an automatic hard shutoff? When my pump stops running, my heater keeps going. Eventually the thermostat gets to the set point which turns it off, i'm guessing since there's no moving water once the pump is off, the water in the heater gets up to the desired temperature and shuts off the heater. Is that how it's supposed to normally function? My pump runs off the digital on board timer.

The heater is new to the system?

Once the pump shuts off so should the heater. The heater does have a pressure switch and if the pressure is enough it would keep the heater running. The heater could be hooked into the timer clock so when the timer shuts the pump off it also shuts the heater power off. It is bad for the heater to do what it is doing now. I would get this resolved soon before the heater gets messed up. I would suggest hooking the heaters power into the timer clock just like the pump.

Reactions: vf21pj
Sorry for the late reply. The whole system is new, I just built the pool last summer. While I do have a manual intermatic timer that's hooked up to both the pump and heater, it's really only used as a power distribution panel since my pump has a built in digital timer. What's the best way to make this work? If I use the manual timer, I'm assuming it will cut the power off from both the pump and heater.

It sound to me like the heater pressure switch has somehow been bypassed. any time the pump shuts down the pressure in the plumbing will rop to the point where the safety circuit in the heater will shut it down. This is almost instant. The next time your pump shuts off, check and see what your pressure guage in the system is doing. It is posible that either the pressure switch is stuck (replace) or it is out of adjustment (some, not all, are adjustable)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.