Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool heater shutoff?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool heater shutoff?

If I'm heating up my pool and my pump timer ends, should the pool heater automatically shutoff? If so, should it be an automatic hard shutoff? When my pump stops running, my heater keeps going. Eventually the thermostat gets to the set point which turns it off, i'm guessing since there's no moving water once the pump is off, the water in the heater gets up to the desired temperature and shuts off the heater. Is that how it's supposed to normally function? My pump runs off the digital on board timer.
    30 x 20 IG Play Pool + 7' Spa ~16K Gallons, French Gray Plaster, Pentair Intelliflow VS, Pentair CCP420, Pentair MasterTemp 400K Heater, Intellibrite LEDs.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pool heater shutoff?

The heater is new to the system?

Once the pump shuts off so should the heater. The heater does have a pressure switch and if the pressure is enough it would keep the heater running. The heater could be hooked into the timer clock so when the timer shuts the pump off it also shuts the heater power off. It is bad for the heater to do what it is doing now. I would get this resolved soon before the heater gets messed up. I would suggest hooking the heaters power into the timer clock just like the pump.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

There should be a pressure switch in the heater. No pressure, no heat. On the other hand, I prefer to shut my heater off a few minutes before the pump goes off.

I think you'd do well to put some kind of timer on it. Google "fireman switch" for some ideas. Here's an article that might help explain it and save me a lot of typing. Swimming Pool Pump Timers
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry for the late reply. The whole system is new, I just built the pool last summer. While I do have a manual intermatic timer that's hooked up to both the pump and heater, it's really only used as a power distribution panel since my pump has a built in digital timer. What's the best way to make this work? If I use the manual timer, I'm assuming it will cut the power off from both the pump and heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

It sound to me like the heater pressure switch has somehow been bypassed. any time the pump shuts down the pressure in the plumbing will rop to the point where the safety circuit in the heater will shut it down. This is almost instant. The next time your pump shuts off, check and see what your pressure guage in the system is doing. It is posible that either the pressure switch is stuck (replace) or it is out of adjustment (some, not all, are adjustable)
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump