Particles In Water

Oct 19, 2015
Burleson, Texas
Should a pool with a DE filter look like this? I always see things floating when I turn the light on. The PB said he back washed the filter when they did the acid was a couple weeks ago. I figured with a DE filter there wouldn't be anything in the water.
9afeb8d21b6d51b193ef32d52e3139dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree, I have stuff floating in my water most of the time. There is usually some wind blowing something into the pool. At night with the light on is most visible. It comes and goes depending on wind and how much dust is in the air. Lawn mowers really stir it up. Water looks nice and clear. That is the downside of TFPC, nice clear water lets you see everything.

I have the same thing happening, and here is my take on it. If im right or not, I dont know, but it seems logical to me.
I think I may be at least partically right, because I dont see the floaties all year long.

The filter will only filter out what gets passed through it. Depending on how long each day you run your pump, stuff which floats in may settle on the bottom of the pool. As the pump then comes on later, the stuff on the bottom gets disturbed and floats into the water column and becomes visible in front of the light at night. So, really, the cleaner the bottom is, the less of the floaties will be visible.

Durning winter I have lots of floaties too because I dont run my robot very much. During spring and summer, I run my robot a lot and filter longer and I dont see the floaties that I do in the winter time.

Floaters. Everybody's got some.

My experience: frequent brushing helps eliminate them. They're like aquatic dust -- they stick to surfaces and don't just settle to the floor like they should. Brushing gets them into circulation so the filter can grab 'em. Brush 2-3X/ week for a month and you'll see fewer floaters in the light.

I also seem to have fewer since I switched to cellulose from DE.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.