Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need some help on repainting a pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Need some help on repainting a pool

So 3 years ago we hired some one to paint our pool. They did a terrible job. Now it is worn out again. I need to paint would love to replaster it but no money for that. So what steps need to be taken to repaint it.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need some help on repainting a pool

Probably a good cleaning and removal of loose paint is all that is required. Don't expect paint, in a pool, to last more than 3 years. It just won't.

3. Back To Top    #3

It never really looked good from the beginning he was supposed to prime and paint and he just painted. Then said the paint had primer mixed. So I guess when it will be warmer for couple of days I will drain it and pressure wash it. Didn't know if I need to wash with muratic acid.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by scottburlette View Post
    It never really looked good from the beginning he was supposed to prime and paint and he just painted. Then said the paint had primer mixed. So I guess when it will be warmer for couple of days I will drain it and pressure wash it. Didn't know if I need to wash with muratic acid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
    This MAY have been what he used..... http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...b48c2c9792.pdf
    It does give a little prep information....

5. Back To Top    #5

He used some Sherman Williams paint.

6. Back To Top    #6

Just realize you will be repainting in 2 to 3 years no matter what prep work you do.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

7. Back To Top    #7

Yea I hate this option but 700 for paint and 9000 to guinite the pool. I think I will go the paint route

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Hey Scott,

Make sure you find out what kind of paint was used previously. I'll post how to test when I get home.
    Duck's Swimming Pool Service & Repair
    Winchester, Virginia

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

From A Ramuc PDF. I highly recommend their paint. Also make sure you prep the surface correctly for proper adhesion. Let us know what type of paint you have and we can go from there.

To determine the type of coating you may have on your pool or slides please follow
    the procedure outlined below:
     Apply denatured alcohol to a clean cloth and rub onto surface. If the paint sof-
    tens then the coating is probably a water-based acrylic paint.
     Apply Xylene or Xylol to a clean cloth and rub onto surface. If the paint softens,
    put a small amount of Xylene or Xylol on your finger and rub the surface in cir-
    cles. If it softens and “strings” the paint is probably a chlorinated rubber based
    paint. If the coating softens but does NOT string, then it is probably a synthetic
    rubber. If nothing happens to the paint coating when you rub the surface with
    the Xylene on the cloth, then the paint is most likely an epoxy, or a gel coat.
    NOTE:
    For testing a white surface use a dark colored cloth
    For testing a colored surface use a white cloth.
    If there is any doubt as to the type of paint on the surface, take a sample to your
    local paint store or dealer to send to RAMUC (800-745-6756) for definitive analysis
    Winchester, Virginia

10. Back To Top    #10

I know it was a 2 part paint it had a harder mixed with it I will call Sherman Williams and ask pool guy went out of business

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

It was likely a 2 part epoxy paint. I can not be sure though. Can you post some pics of the damage? Epoxy should last longer than 3 years but has to be applied correctly.

http://www.lincolnaquatics.com/Documents/260.PDF

Check out this application guide. IF it is epoxy (probably is) this is your procedure.
    Winchester, Virginia

12. Back To Top    #12

It's just faded real bad he did a terrible job on it he missed spots and came back touched it up said he could part it while filled then we got in the pool and your feet would stick to it. Now I believe it is worn out to bad because I couldn't keep it clean at all during the last couple of months of summer. Pool is like a swamp right now. I will never say what I paid but I paid good money for this pool to be painted and I glad he is out of business. I should have sued him but I didn't want the headache and about 6 months after he did it he lost everything due to the bad work he was doing. Came with great references when we decided to use him.