Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Off the Charts !

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Off the Charts !

Began having a problem with small patches of algae in a crystal clear pool. Vacuum every day but its back the next morning. Noticed very high chlorine usage after I had been adding a gallon of bleach a day. Tested CYA and black dot does not disappear at all. Drained and refilled about 12 inches of pool water twice but CYA reading is the same. Question is how in the world does CYA get so high when all I have been doing is adding bleach? We have had above average rain here in Central Florida and also my pool gets pine needles but I get them out quickly. Any help would be appreciated. I'm guessing I need to continue the drain and refill. How many times?
    18X33 Sharkline Morada Pool 15,700 gallons, Pentair Sand Dollar Filter SD-60, 1.5HP Hayward Pump, AquaLuminator Light, Solar Blanket & Reel and two 4' by 20' Solar Panels. TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA Off the Charts !

Have you used any other chemical product or puck like tablets in your pool? Are you testing the CYA outdoors, with the sun to your back while holding the tube at waist high level?

Can you provide a full set of test results, please?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

If the dot never disappears then you don't have any CYA. Which explains why your chlorine isn't lasting very long. Time to add some CYA.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

What a dummy I am ! Good grief ! I was reading it the opposite way. Yes CYA is zero and I need to increase it not decrease it. I'll add one sockful of stabilizer and test again. Thanks. Sheesh !

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Have you used any other chemical product or puck like tablets in your pool? Are you testing the CYA outdoors, with the sun to your back while holding the tube at waist high level?

Can you provide a full set of test results, please?
    I have not used anything other than bleach and yes testing outdoors, back to the sun and around waist high level.
    18X33 Sharkline Morada Pool 15,700 gallons, Pentair Sand Dollar Filter SD-60, 1.5HP Hayward Pump, AquaLuminator Light, Solar Blanket & Reel and two 4' by 20' Solar Panels. TF-100.

5. Back To Top    #5

Doh! Don't you worry. Each of us has a personal story like that.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2590 View Post
    What a dummy I am ! Good grief ! I was reading it the opposite way. Yes CYA is zero and I need to increase it not decrease it. I'll add one sockful of stabilizer and test again. Thanks. Sheesh !
    LOL! At least you don't have to drain your pool!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

Not the first one and will not be the last

Do not bother testing for the CYA until about a week after adding it to the water. Treat your water as if your CYA is at your target amount.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit