<Hello from San Diego!> 5 Year Pool Owner feeling like a 5 Year Pool Renter

Feb 12, 2016
San Diego, CA
Hello everyone!

My name is Preston from San Diego, CA and I've been blessed to own this lovely pool for the past 5 years.

5744116986_f9145a8f0c_b.jpg

I reckon its roughly about 14000 gallons but not exactly sure because of the shape. This photo is also distorted from the wide angle perspective, stitching, etc.

The family and I have enjoyed our pool greatly over that time including our dog named Kilo. With our dog going swimming during the summer months we would have to backwash our filter a few times with an occasional clean during the season because his hair would collect on the cartridges.

Anyway, I titled this Introductory Thread as a 5 Year Pool Renter because I've always employed pool maintenance companies to keep it running tip top. I've read bits & pieces on maintaining but never fully committing to taking on the duties of a pool owner. With that said, I've gone thru a few companies because I felt the job they did lacked quality and professionalism. Maybe my expectations were too high but during the 5 years, I have done 2 full drain & fills because the TDS were thru the roof and have always had some sort of algae problem. I decided this year I am going to use the money I spent for pool maintenance on my own chemicals. So in the fall I purchased these items from my local Lowes:

810821021432lg.jpg
041596003358lg.jpg

as well as a box of DE. Proud, I watched some YouTube vids on DE backwashing and cleaning and performed my own. SUCCESS!!!! Checked my water parameters a few days later and everything looked to be within normal readings but then...

...time passes

...and passes with little to no maintainence

Now unfortunately, I am starting off the year on a bad note because my oasis of a pool has become a place only the swamp thing would call home. Yeah, success was short lived but I plan on getting it to the best condition it's ever been! I've been reading the sticky thread on reversing my algae situation but I need to acquire the Taylor FAS-DPD test kit since I only have the Leslie's Pool Supply basic kit. Not sure if I should add bleach until the kit arrives... still reading threads to determine that. Matter fact, I don't even know the difference between using bleach versus the 3" tabs.:confused:

Back to more reading... speaking of which, I want to thank this site and its contributors in advance for all the invaluable information provided.

And thank you for letting me introduce myself, here is my Kilo doing what he does best.

9688978045_38ae305a29_b.jpg

And for a little homework I'd suggest starting off by reading Pool School- Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

I'd also suggest just getting it over with and ordering the test kit we recommend- TF-100 or the Taylor's K-2006 (no other one). You can get one via California based Pool Supply World and you'll soon see that the right test kit will end up saving you mucho dinero on chemicals. I promise!
Water Testing - TFTestkit TF-100 Seven Test Kit - TF-100

As to Kilo's swimming pleasure- a simple skimmer sock placed inside the skimmer basket will do wonders to collect dog hair before it hits the filter. I swear by them when the pollen in Georgia gets thick and it allows me to rarely have to clean out or backwash my sand filter.

Yippee :flower:

If you have any of those 3" tablets in an inline chlorinator or in a floater, remove them now. They are adding stabilizer and making the chlorine you add less and less effective. Order your test kit, read everything you can in Pool School (twice!) and, if you want, add a half a gallon of plain old Clorox bleach everyday until your test kit arrives and you can properly post test results.

Your pool did not turn into a swamp overnight and it will not turn back into a sparkling oasis for Kilo overnight either. So there's no rush here and your pool is not going crumble to pieces while you wait....although you might be surprised at what you find in the bottom of the swamp ;)

Can we get a picture of the black, murky mess??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Welcome! :wave:

It's time to get off the pool store merry-go-round. There's a steep learning curve to our method, and if you're starting with a green pool it will be even steeper, but.... Once you get the algae killed and the chemistry balanced, it's a flat line. Super easy. A couple minutes a day and however long to brush and vacuum. Two hours a week, maybe?

People will marvel at how clear your water is. Seriously. And they will comment on how it doesn't dry their skin and it doesn't smell.

You've already been directed to pool school, but have you seen this thread with links to other green-to-clean stories? Your pool can't look worse than some of these: Recovering my old inspirational links The newer ones are the last ones, so you may want to jump to the end and scroll backwards.

Well that is quite an intro for sure! I LOVE the picture of Kilo!

I would like for you to start a thread in this area for the max help: Algae - Prevention and Treatment

I will pop over to get you started as soon as you post there. We CAN get your water clear and trouble free for a LOT less than you have been spending!

Kim
Thank you, I'm excited and will start a thread today!

And for a little homework I'd suggest starting off by reading Pool School- Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

I'd also suggest just getting it over with and ordering the test kit we recommend- TF-100 or the Taylor's K-2006 (no other one). You can get one via California based Pool Supply World and you'll soon see that the right test kit will end up saving you mucho dinero on chemicals. I promise!
Water Testing - TFTestkit TF-100 Seven Test Kit - TF-100

As to Kilo's swimming pleasure- a simple skimmer sock placed inside the skimmer basket will do wonders to collect dog hair before it hits the filter. I swear by them when the pollen in Georgia gets thick and it allows me to rarely have to clean out or backwash my sand filter.

Yippee :flower:
Thanks for the suggestions, I ordered the TF-100 and it arrived last night! Now the skimmer sock sounds like a brilliant idea, thanks again.

If you have any of those 3" tablets in an inline chlorinator or in a floater, remove them now. They are adding stabilizer and making the chlorine you add less and less effective. Order your test kit, read everything you can in Pool School (twice!) and, if you want, add a half a gallon of plain old Clorox bleach everyday until your test kit arrives and you can properly post test results.

Your pool did not turn into a swamp overnight and it will not turn back into a sparkling oasis for Kilo overnight either. So there's no rush here and your pool is not going crumble to pieces while you wait....although you might be surprised at what you find in the bottom of the swamp :wink:

Can we get a picture of the black, murky mess??
Once I knew I needed to treat the problem I stopped using the tabs so it has allowed the algae to control the environment. I've been reading, reading, and reading the pool school but wasn't too sure on the sequence of steps afterwords once I've gathered all the test results.(which chems first, second, etc.) I haven't added any bleach to the pool and the pump has been off since I began my Introduction Thread(2/12)
Welcome! :wave:

It's time to get off the pool store merry-go-round. There's a steep learning curve to our method, and if you're starting with a green pool it will be even steeper, but.... Once you get the algae killed and the chemistry balanced, it's a flat line. Super easy. A couple minutes a day and however long to brush and vacuum. Two hours a week, maybe?

People will marvel at how clear your water is. Seriously. And they will comment on how it doesn't dry their skin and it doesn't smell.

You've already been directed to pool school, but have you seen this thread with links to other green-to-clean stories? Your pool can't look worse than some of these: Recovering my old inspirational links The newer ones are the last ones, so you may want to jump to the end and scroll backwards.
Thanks for the heads up, I've checked a few success stories and I'm confident to be one of those myself.

Hello, Knowledge! Welcome. We really want to help. Are you getting email updates to your thread?
Thanks for the welcome! I thought I checked to have notifications sent but I never got anything so it was a surprise to see all of the member's replies.

So.... Here is the current status of the pool. Yuck!!!!!
25103167216_0aeddddece_b.jpg

24502646903_533e9435d5_b.jpg

24498834574_52dae7a030_b.jpg

Time to go to work!