Pump down for about 6 days for water heater replacement

Mar 16, 2014
Plano, TX
Hi all,

I'm about a 6 month old pool owner and have been using this site for all chemicals/cleaning info and have learned a ton. Apparently
the water heater is corroded to the point that it's going to be replaced, but the repair company has the pump switched off because
water will leak from the heater since they've taken it apart. My concern is the water chemistry while the pump is off for 6 days. I'm in Plano, TX
and the weather has been low's in the 40's and highs in the high 60's this week.

Should I do anything different other than maintain balance?

Thanks in advance!!

Maintain balance and if you have access to a submersible pump, dropping that in the pool with the exit hose underwater can help keep pushing water around the pool. Daily brushing and completely brushing the pool when you add chemicals would be great. Think of it as a good workout program for a week! ;)

I guess it's fair to assume your system does not have a heater by-pass valve? You may want to double-check. If not, based on this experience, perhaps you may want to consider having one installed when you have your heater replaced just to have that ability to keep the water moving. At the very least, ask the seller about heaters with pre-installed valves before purchasing your next heater. It's my understanding that some new heaters have a by-pass valve pre-installed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.