Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump down for about 6 days for water heater replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump down for about 6 days for water heater replacement

Hi all,

I'm about a 6 month old pool owner and have been using this site for all chemicals/cleaning info and have learned a ton. Apparently
    the water heater is corroded to the point that it's going to be replaced, but the repair company has the pump switched off because
    water will leak from the heater since they've taken it apart. My concern is the water chemistry while the pump is off for 6 days. I'm in Plano, TX
    and the weather has been low's in the 40's and highs in the high 60's this week.

Should I do anything different other than maintain balance?

Thanks in advance!!
    23,000k IG pool/spa (water spillover spa), Pentair 1 1/2 horse pump, Pentair 48 sq ft D.E. filter, Raypak 406k btu heater, manual vac (dolphin robotic cleaner coming soon).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump down for about 6 days for water heater replacement

Maintain balance and if you have access to a submersible pump, dropping that in the pool with the exit hose underwater can help keep pushing water around the pool. Daily brushing and completely brushing the pool when you add chemicals would be great. Think of it as a good workout program for a week!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Well, you can always brush..... but, realistically, if your pool temp is below 60, I might not worry. What is your water temperature?

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks! I figured I could do that and run around the pool stirring it like a giant cup of coffee! Definitely a workout when the deep end is 8'!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks water is mid to upper 50's

5. Back To Top    #5

I guess it's fair to assume your system does not have a heater by-pass valve? You may want to double-check. If not, based on this experience, perhaps you may want to consider having one installed when you have your heater replaced just to have that ability to keep the water moving. At the very least, ask the seller about heaters with pre-installed valves before purchasing your next heater. It's my understanding that some new heaters have a by-pass valve pre-installed.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks hadn't thought about that! It does not, but I will definitely get that changed for the next setup. Appreciate the info!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by roblutts View Post
    Thanks! I figured I could do that and run around the pool stirring it like a giant cup of coffee! Definitely a workout when the deep end is 8'!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks water is mid to upper 50's
    Please send video.....

8. Back To Top    #8

Ha!! I may just do that!!