Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Testing Tools - Preferences

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Testing Tools - Preferences

I have a couple of questions about what everyone is using for their CYA testing tools.

I'm using the Taylor Mix Bottle #9191 :

Taylor 9191.jpg

Here's the TFT Mix Bottle :

TFT CYA Mix.jpg

What is the difference between the Taylor Mix Bottle and the TFT Mix Bottle? Does the TFT Bottle work the same way as the Taylor bottle? For example, does the TFT bottle have the 7 & 14 ml marks with the procedure the same, ie, fill with pool water to 7ml, then R-0013 solution to 14ml ?

I'm also using a CYA Vial that came with a kit purchased from Leslie's Pool Store. The kit is an approximate equivalent to the Taylor K-2006 but the CYA Vial that I have is only graduated to 30ppm CYA.

My vial diameter is about 9/16" .

I'm looking at maybe getting the TFT Vial since it has the 20ppm range included :

TFT CYA Vial.jpg

- I read at the TFT store site that this vial is easier to distinguish when the Back Dot disappears. What is the diameter of the TFT Vial?

The other part of my question about CYA Testing tools is regarding the 2 Taylor Comparator Blocks.

Does anyone use either of these 2 Taylor blocks for testing CYA?

Taylor 9056 :

Taylor 9056.jpg

Taylor 9058 :

Taylor 9058.jpg

- How are these 2 Comparator Blocks graduated for CYA testing? Are they graduated from 20-100ppm ?

- Are the Taylor Blocks easier to use with distinguishing when the Black Dot disappears vs the vials?
    - Pool Type: 15k Gal Gunite IG non-SWG / Built 1988
    - Pump: Pentair Challenger / Sweep Pump: Letro Model LA01N .75HP Single-speed / 6 hrs-day (1 turnover)
    - D.E. Filter: OEM: Nautilus (Pentair) #NS 36 / 36 Sq Ft / D.E. Charge: 3.6 Lb
    - Pentair 4-wheel Sweep LL505G - Booster Pump runs ~2 hrs/day

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA Testing Tools - Preferences

I have Taylor equipment.

I have both of the comparator blocks and both are graduated for the CYA test. I've never had a problem with the Taylor blocks but I have not used the TFTestkits vial so I have no reference to go by.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the info

Do you have a preference for CYA testing between the 2 Taylor Blocks? Is one easier to use when looking for the Black Dot disappearance?
    - Pump: Pentair Challenger / Sweep Pump: Letro Model LA01N .75HP Single-speed / 6 hrs-day (1 turnover)

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
    Thanks for the info

Do you have a preference for CYA testing between the 2 Taylor Blocks? Is one easier to use when looking for the Black Dot disappearance?
    They are exactly the same in terms of CYA.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Are the Comparator Blocks graduated to 20 or 30ppm for CYA testing?

6. Back To Top    #6

They are both graduated down to 30ppm as the lowest value (highest mark on the tube).

20ppm CYA is very difficult to read. At normal pool pH (~7.5), the melamine cyanurate complex is soluble in water up to 20ppm (meaning the complex will stay in solution rather than precipitate out). The Taylor R-0013 reagent attempts to buffer the pH of the resulting mixture down to a low pH value to improve the precipitation of the melamine cyanurate, but it's not perfect. So 20ppm really is the limit of any test and, even then, you have at best a +/- 15ppm error in the test, making the low end of CYA concentrations very hard to detect.

Matt
    Matt