Charleston, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-3)
We need to swim our dog for therapy and we are fortunate that there is an indoor dog pool in our area (she swims in our pool when it is warm enough). Knowing what I know about how most pools are kept, I have finally gotten the courage to ask the owner if I may bring my test kit at my next swim and test the water and she agreed! I believe all chemical balances are the same except that CYA should be 20-30 even with a SWG. With the dog bather load, is there anything else that comes into play? Anyone have a recommendation when a dog has an accident, either urine or feces? She told me today, they had to cancel all swims last Saturday as the first dog of the day had an accident and the turned the SWG to super-chlorinate and re-opened Sunday. I told her that bleach would accomplish the same thing and save the life of her SWG. Any and all information is welcome.

I would check with your vet to see what they have to say about what would be healthy and what wouldn't.
I used to be a hunter and the lakes my dogs have jumped into over the years ..... most of them I'd likely not swim in but it never bothered the dog.
Having an indoor pool for dogs is a whole different situation.

How well did she accept your suggestion of using bleach to counter an accident ?? Depending on how open she is will pretty much determine if you might be able to help her.

Do you know what she is testing the water with and what her goals are ??

Can you post a photo of the pool. I'm just interested as I've never thought of such a thing before and I'm interested in the setup.

She is very open and I have developed a great relationship with her. She has an L word test kit, but she is open to buying a proper kit. I am mainly asking about chemical levels and any other insights about an indoor pool My dog has been swimming for two years already and has had no ill effects. I do believe bleach would take care of accidents and wondered if anyone had any experience..

Thanks to all.

I don't know, after watching what my dog picks up in his mouth, eats or rolls around in I'm not sure I would be overly concerned about the occasional accident in a pool maintained for dogs....

I would be more concerned if they have no CYA and FC much over 1 or 2.

Dave, thankfully it was a short visit and not a permanent address!

Tim, I'm not overly concerned, I just wanted to give the best advice I could for them to take the best care of their pool. In the event of an accident, I am going to propose bleach and wondered if anybody had any recommendations. I am going to tell them to raise the FC to 8-10 ppm for a CYA of 20-30 which is shock level for a SWG pool given the ratios Chem Geek has referenced.

I'm going to recommend a target of 4 ppm and a minimum of 3 just because of the "bather load". Thanks go all.

So today i tested the water:

FC 1
CC 3...not a typo...yes 3!!!
PH 7.7
TA 100
CH 100
CYA 0
Salt 2800
Temp 85

The water was cloudy (the first time since I've been this winter) so I advised an OCLT once she gets a proper test kit and then see if a SLAM is in order. If a SLAM is needed, should the FC level be 12 and once completed, maintain FC between 2 and 4 or between 1 and 3? The reason I'm asking is this statement on the FC/CYA chart, "For indoor pools we recommend CYA between 20 and 30. The reasoning for using CYA indoors is quite different. For more information please ask on the forum."

Thank you in advance.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Right now the pool has "0" CYA so it is actually at shock level now. Shock level for "0" CYA is .64 and the minimum chlorine is .07 (yes, 0.07). This is why we recommend CYA in an indoor pool. Not to protect the FC from the sun, but to moderate the harshness of the chlorine. With these low numbers there is no way to test and keep the chlorine that low so you end up always over chlorinating.

If she takes the CYA up to 30, then yes shock a 12. Then the minimum FC would be 2 with a target of 4 to make sure it never goes below 2. But, with this being a pool for dogs and assuming multiple accidents the target may need to be higher and she may need to look into non chlorine shock like MPS to keep the CC in check.

Thanks Tim. I have a Taylor kit so 30 is the lowest I can register CYA so it could be anywhere between 0 and 30. I will do a little research on MPS and see if that is an option with dogs.

Also remember if you find a need for MPS that MPS shows up as CC on the common DPD and FAS-DPD chlorine test, Taylor does offer a special MPS interference test though (I think 2 in fact one for DPD and one for FAS-DPD)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.