Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA

I recently tested my pool with TF 100 kit and it was in the borderline of needing CYA. Looking to raise the CYA. Can I start to use the tablets (in the floater)? Ever since I moved into the current house, I have been using liquid acid/chlorine. Previous owner used the tablet.

The reason is I want to be familiarized with the use of tablet since I will be away for a few weeks in the coming summer and figure the tablet is the easiest way to train my pool keeper (brother).

Looking to use the tablets long enough to raise CYA and be familiarized. If so, what brands to buy?

Thanks,
    TT

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA

Floaters tend to be pretty poor at chlorinating. Just not enough water contact to dissolve the tablets fast enough. Should be fine for raising the CYA, and you can see how they do in your pool. Steer clear of tablets that claim anything like 3-way or dual-action. They have copper in them.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Now is the time to experiment. Does your floater have adjustable vents? Start out with a FC reading, then add one puck in a floater with the vents wide open. Keep your run times the same every day. Check your FC loss at sundown. If it's about where you started in the morning, then you have a good thing going. Try two pucks with more narrow vents. See how long the tabs last, and if the FC drop is greater on day 3 (which I bet it is, less surface area exposed to the water).
    And probably want your pump running during the day to keep dispensing FC all day when the sun is burning it off.

TFP has made it clear to me how inexact the tab method is. How much FC are you putting in each day? what is the water flow like? How does the dispensing change day 3 vs day 1. All variables.

To overcome that, when I'm on vacation, I just drop in like 3 tabs with narrow vents. I'd rather be a bit over than under. This year I think I'll put the floater in the leaf rake, so it is suspended over the right spot in the pool, not stuck in a corner or in front of the skimmer.

- - - Updated - - -

all that said, if your brother is going by every day, "XX oz of bleach, slowly, in front of the running jets" is about as simple as it gets.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the feedback. I tossed the floater away when I moved in and read about the stuff from this forum. Buckeyechris, what brand did you use?

5. Back To Top    #5

um, the blue and white one from the store. I'm not sure it matters
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Tested the CYA and it is at 22. How many tablets should I put in the sock? Location to hang the sock if my skimmer is being used by the vacuum hose. I am thinking I can tie the sock to the pole of the brush and let it hang a few feet away from the wall in deep water?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by trackstar2000 View Post
    Tested the CYA and it is at 22.
    What did you test with to get a CYA reading of 22?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon