Variable speed pump

Jun 18, 2014
Glendora, CA
Thinking of replacing my current pump (don't know the name since label is off) to a variable speed pump such as the "Hayward SP2302VSP". I mainly use the pool vacuum (The Pool Cleaner) and don't use the skimmer that much.

Would a variable speed pump be ideal for my situation?

Thanks,
TT

Please add your pool info to your signature, more here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

It depends on a few factors like do you have a heater, solar panels, SWG, water features. A VS pump will give you maximum control of water flow to achieve the correct flow rates and maximum energy efficiency. But, it might be overkill and a 2 speed pump might be just fine.

I love my VS pump. I run it at 1100rpm for skimming, filtering and making chlorine with the SWG. My pump only uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm. A 1 or 1-1/2hp VS pump would be great for your set up. A two speed pump would also be good and it would be cheaper. A two speed pump on low moves half the water and uses a quarter of the electricity as it does on high speed. Run it on low most of the time for filtering and on high for faster skimming or vacuuming.

Without knowing your "situation" not sure how to evaluate the need or the value.

Would be worth the time to jot down the specifics of your pool equipment and add them to your signature as outlined here - - > Pool School - Getting Started

Once we know what you have we can try to give you informed guidance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.