Pool Deck Considerations

StephL

Jun 15, 2015
Dewinton, Alberta
Last year we set up our 27 ft round above ground pool, and this year we will be constructing a deck around it. We have a large existing deck off the back of our house, and this new deck will be just off of the existing deck, with a set of stairs connecting. We've designed the pool deck so that we can walk all the way around the pool, for ease of vacuuming, covering, etc. And we've decided that we'd like the pool to go over the top edge instead of under, for various reasons. So, my question now is.....what are some things you added to your pool deck, or wish you had added? I'm thinking a trap door to access the skimmer, enough space around to put our loungers, etc.

Thanks in advance for the advice, and any pictures!!

Hi StephL. I had a deck around half of my prior above ground and people sitting was not an issue. Their center of gravity seemed to be on the deck itself so it was just their legs w knees bent at the edge of the coping (it was just more comfortable to sit that way). Not enough weight to impact the sidewalls or coping for that matter.

not sure how much room you are wanting to leave around the edge of the pool. But i'd go 3' minimum. I was going to go 2' just to have a walkway, but somebody on here talked me into 3' and i'm SO glad they did.

I posted this in another thread a few days ago, but it seems like it fits here too....
New Deck Build. Figured I'd post some pics....

A trap door for the skimmer is in the works for this year. I think i have it figured out but i'm not quite sure yet. I'm going to do something like this though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.