Hi Everyone. Soon-to-be first time pool owner in NJ.

Feb 11, 2016
Hillsdale, NJ
Hi everyone. I'm a soon-to-be first time pool owner from Northern NJ.

I'm under contract on a house, set to close on March 18th. The pool is a 20x40 Grecian-shaped Gunite pool, built circa 1970. As you can see from the pictures, it's in sorry shape, and in need of a total overhaul. Gunite seems to be in great shape, but it has uneven cracked decking, missing tiles, loose cracked coping, and deteriorated paint on plaster.

I'm hoping that I can hang out here on the forums, and learn some facts that will allow me to make some smart decisions when renovating this pool.

pool.jpg

Welcome, welcome!

Glad you are here, and we can help with this one when you're ready. Whenever you are, be sure to post up a new thread in one of the forums, and everyone will jump in to help. Enjoy your time on TFP!

Oooh wee! That's a dark swamp. :) Wait until you compare before & after pics once you get settled in your place and start treating it. Hint: If you don't already have one, I would suggest ordering a TF-100 (XL option with Speed Stir) now so that you have the required reagents to test properly once you move in. Link is below in my sig. It all starts there. Other than that, try to read-up on the TFP's Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and you'll be on your way. welcome to TFP. :wave:

Welcome to TFP!

Congrats on the new pool! I love the classic old pools, even when they look like that. It will be amazing when you get finished with it.

Oh man... look at that pool! A diamond in the ruff! I did kinda cringed at the painted plaster. A refinish will get rid of that. We never recommend it anyway but some feel its a cheap fix.

Anyways.... I can not wait to see what you have planned for this pool!