Pool Design Help - Treasure Coast, FL

MayorHanna

Silver Supporter
Dec 21, 2015
Palm City, FL
Hi All,

My first post and our soon to be first pool. We're currently meeting with builders and obtaining quotes and hope to sign a contract by the beginning of March.

Since this is our first pool we are having difficulty deciding on a final design that is both aesthetically pleasing, functional and hopefully easy to maintain. Here is our list of likes/requirements and our current design:

- Decking footprint to remain at 37' x 48' or smaller (48' is house footprint and possible screen enclosure size).
- Flush spa 6' x 6' or larger. We want this on house side of pool for privacy.
- Sun Shelf of 10' x 7' or larger (originally we had this as one large shelf).
- Rectangle pool size of 16' to 18' x 32' to 34'.
- Best thing about current design = fully symmetrical look with everything balanced.
- Worst thing about current design = those tiny pool spaces in the bottom left and right corners.

Question: Any thoughts on placement of the sun shelf, spa, steps? Our thoughts are pushing them into the pool area would reduce the swim width too much; pulling them fully out of the pool area would require us to extend the decking further into the yard (which we'd prefer not to do based on cost and other plans for that space). So right now we're left with this offset look and those troublesome tiny corners (maybe they're not such a bad thing?).

5b5f440a-e27a-42f1-bc7c-8da62d94116b_zpsgc5xpbfd.png

In the area on the left of the spa I would put in a large bench or "hang out" area OR change the sun shelf to include that area to make it L shaped. I would leave the steps like you have them off of the 6 sun shelf.

THANKS for letting us spend your money LOL

I would love to see the are this is going in!

Kim

I find that 3.5 feet is too shallow. I suggest not going less than 4 feet.

I'd do "something" with the two areas to the right and left of the sun shelves. If my pool, I'd turn the stairs on the right side 90 degrees and full width across the opening, so that you can walk straight into the pool. I'd also put stairs on the other side or do what Kim has suggested. You need something there that makes it look like it was designed to be that way, not just a left over space.

Jim R.

I'd combine the above and do a bench on the left side and a set of corner stairs on the right. Not oriented on the pool corner, but on the sunshelf inner corner. Reason being that you could then walk into the pool easily directly from the shelf or deck.

Wow, everyone gave us something to think about with lots good ideas. Those corners are too small to be useful as a "pool" area unless you're a Cuban tree frog, baby bunny or black racer snake (all of which we expect to find in the pool).

Filling them in fully with steps and benches, making them functional and part of the design rather than afterthoughts makes total sense (a bit more money perhaps but worth it). Thanks to everyone above. Also reversed shallow end so it's closer to the house doors. We're still all over the place with shelf/bench depths.

Rough draft of potential changes.

d2fcba50-2863-4887-91f1-192ac21a15af_zpsjaybauwj.png

Kimkats, thank you, I noted to look at that to try to face the lights away from the house. I'll consider a build thread just so Florida can get one build closer to Texas. :eek:

BigEinAZ, thanks as well on the steps. I think we'd be okay with a fourth step added into the main pool area so we'll work to get the rise and depth right on the steps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Contract Signed - design/spec details

Hi all,

We've gone through the bidding process and have signed a contract based on the following design and specs.

The question regarding the odd little corners that we had initially designed was solved by...making the pool bigger of course (sun shelves and spa were pushed out of main pool area completely).

Steps were turned 90 degrees (as recommended here, thanks) and we can't wait to see the full width "grand" entry steps.

Design, specifications and chosen colors follow.

Changes made from picture shown:
- "Oasis" deck has been moved behind raised wall. We plan to make it a semi-secret area with landscaping and add a fire pit later.
- Main pool width reduced to 16'.
- Bubblers removed with the sun shelves depth at 12" below water level.

Pool%20Scan%200_zpskf38pswh.png

Pool%20Builder%20Comparison_zpstkx4un9o.png

IMG_20160331_113940885_HDR_zpslwfgd8wr.jpg

Dig date is currently scheduled for May 11th. We're open to any and all thoughts regarding the design and equipment.

- We did ask about an upgrade to a variable speed pump but at a $1,300 upgrade cost we're not sure it's of benefit. Our electrical rates are low.
- We did ask about upgrading to a larger cartridge filter but PB thinks this is more than adequate for the pool size.
- Originally a Pentair heat pump was quoted but we asked about a heat/cool pump and PB is providing the Thermeau at no upgrade cost. This brand is somewhat new to them as well but has a 5 YR warranty vs 3 YR with the Pentair (plus cooling!). I can't find much on the brand other than it's Canadian, eh.

Thanks for the compliments Kim and Indigo Blue.

We had walked out of our PB meeting perfectly happy with our choices. Once home with the full force of the Internet in front of you indecision takes hold again though.

Florida Gem "Blue Gem"...
blue-gem_zpsb9f778ou.jpg

or Florida Gem "Hawaiian"...
hawaiian_zpsuocpu98k.jpg

Hmmm, we favor the Hawaiian at the moment but maybe it's too similar to the tile blues?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.