Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pool Design Help - Treasure Coast, FL

1. Back To Top    #1

Post Pool Design Help - Treasure Coast, FL

Hi All,

My first post and our soon to be first pool. We're currently meeting with builders and obtaining quotes and hope to sign a contract by the beginning of March.

Since this is our first pool we are having difficulty deciding on a final design that is both aesthetically pleasing, functional and hopefully easy to maintain. Here is our list of likes/requirements and our current design:

- Decking footprint to remain at 37' x 48' or smaller (48' is house footprint and possible screen enclosure size).
    - Flush spa 6' x 6' or larger. We want this on house side of pool for privacy.
    - Sun Shelf of 10' x 7' or larger (originally we had this as one large shelf).
    - Rectangle pool size of 16' to 18' x 32' to 34'.
    - Best thing about current design = fully symmetrical look with everything balanced.
    - Worst thing about current design = those tiny pool spaces in the bottom left and right corners.

Question: Any thoughts on placement of the sun shelf, spa, steps? Our thoughts are pushing them into the pool area would reduce the swim width too much; pulling them fully out of the pool area would require us to extend the decking further into the yard (which we'd prefer not to do based on cost and other plans for that space). So right now we're left with this offset look and those troublesome tiny corners (maybe they're not such a bad thing?).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Design Help - Treasure Coast, FL

In the area on the left of the spa I would put in a large bench or "hang out" area OR change the sun shelf to include that area to make it L shaped. I would leave the steps like you have them off of the 6 sun shelf.

THANKS for letting us spend your money LOL

I would love to see the are this is going in!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

I find that 3.5 feet is too shallow. I suggest not going less than 4 feet.

I'd do "something" with the two areas to the right and left of the sun shelves. If my pool, I'd turn the stairs on the right side 90 degrees and full width across the opening, so that you can walk straight into the pool. I'd also put stairs on the other side or do what Kim has suggested. You need something there that makes it look like it was designed to be that way, not just a left over space.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

I would also turn the stairs 90 degrees. And I agree with what Kim says about the bench on the other side.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I'd combine the above and do a bench on the left side and a set of corner stairs on the right. Not oriented on the pool corner, but on the sunshelf inner corner. Reason being that you could then walk into the pool easily directly from the shelf or deck.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Wow, everyone gave us something to think about with lots good ideas. Those corners are too small to be useful as a "pool" area unless you're a Cuban tree frog, baby bunny or black racer snake (all of which we expect to find in the pool).

Filling them in fully with steps and benches, making them functional and part of the design rather than afterthoughts makes total sense (a bit more money perhaps but worth it). Thanks to everyone above. Also reversed shallow end so it's closer to the house doors. We're still all over the place with shelf/bench depths.

Rough draft of potential changes.

7. Back To Top    #7

I think you nailed it!

Now lets talk the light placement. They are in the eye if you ever want to swim laps at night..........I will leave the placement up to others as I am not sure about this.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Check your step Code. Usually all steps have to have equal rise. You're going 9" then 11". I think even 11" is going to be over the allowable rise per step. Pools may be different though . . .

9. Back To Top    #9

Kimkats, thank you, I noted to look at that to try to face the lights away from the house. I'll consider a build thread just so Florida can get one build closer to Texas.

BigEinAZ, thanks as well on the steps. I think we'd be okay with a fourth step added into the main pool area so we'll work to get the rise and depth right on the steps.

10. Back To Top    #10

I hope you do a build thread! We LOVE to watch and help on them! You can and should let this be your build thread as it has all of the basics going already.

Kim (better watch it TX! I have another one! LOL)

11. Back To Top    #11

Contract Signed - design/spec details

Hi all,

We've gone through the bidding process and have signed a contract based on the following design and specs.

The question regarding the odd little corners that we had initially designed was solved by...making the pool bigger of course (sun shelves and spa were pushed out of main pool area completely).

Steps were turned 90 degrees (as recommended here, thanks) and we can't wait to see the full width "grand" entry steps.

Design, specifications and chosen colors follow.

Changes made from picture shown:
    - "Oasis" deck has been moved behind raised wall. We plan to make it a semi-secret area with landscaping and add a fire pit later.
    - Main pool width reduced to 16'.
    - Bubblers removed with the sun shelves depth at 12" below water level.

Dig date is currently scheduled for May 11th. We're open to any and all thoughts regarding the design and equipment.

- We did ask about an upgrade to a variable speed pump but at a $1,300 upgrade cost we're not sure it's of benefit. Our electrical rates are low.
    - We did ask about upgrading to a larger cartridge filter but PB thinks this is more than adequate for the pool size.
    - Originally a Pentair heat pump was quoted but we asked about a heat/cool pump and PB is providing the Thermeau at no upgrade cost. This brand is somewhat new to them as well but has a 5 YR warranty vs 3 YR with the Pentair (plus cooling!). I can't find much on the brand other than it's Canadian, eh.

12. Back To Top    #12

LOVE it! REALLY love the colors!

Kim

13. Back To Top    #13

Very Nice! Love the design

13k gallon 10x35 IG salt water pool 8x10 spa Hayward ecostar variable speed pump with remote. Diamond Brite cobalt. Diamond brite watercolors

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks for the compliments Kim and Indigo Blue.

We had walked out of our PB meeting perfectly happy with our choices. Once home with the full force of the Internet in front of you indecision takes hold again though.

Florida Gem "Blue Gem"...

or Florida Gem "Hawaiian"...

Hmmm, we favor the Hawaiian at the moment but maybe it's too similar to the tile blues?
    21,405 gal., 16' x 22' x 36' SWG gunite pool, 6' x 9' flush spa, 18" raised bond beam w/ 3 24" sheers, 4 globerite LED, silver travertine coping/deck, Florida Stucco triple "blue gem" quartz finish, IntelliChlor IC-40, Pentair CC 200 cartridge, Thermeau Prestige TH125 heat/cool pump, Pentair 2-speed 2 HP Max-E-Pro (pool/spa), Pentair Supermax 1.5 HP (feature), Easytouch 8 w/ app/remote, Dolphin S300i robot

15. Back To Top    #15

I like Hawaiian too! I don't mind the tiles the same color, in my opinion it gives an illusion of the water running under your deck because you don't see the separation, I like the effect, it's clean

13k gallon 10x35 IG salt water pool 8x10 spa Hayward ecostar variable speed pump with remote. Diamond Brite cobalt. Diamond brite watercolors

16. Back To Top    #16

I really like that 6"x6" tile you chose. What color is it?
    Swim ready :) My Pool Build Thread. IG shotcrete 34x16 Grecian shape. 22k gallons. 3'6 - 8'6 deep. 12x5 Baja ledge w/ 2 Bubblers, 14' raised beam sheer descent waterfall in stacked rock. Custom stone diving board. Hayward sand filter, VS pump, Aquarite T-15 SWCG. A&A In floor system w/ Gamma 4 venturi heads, Blue surf Pebble sheen, Colorlogic LED. Future Travertine Sandcastle Owner.

17. Back To Top    #17

+1 for Hawaiian
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

18. Back To Top    #18

I am with IB.........She is picking the same one as me for the same reasons. Just love the water color with H plaster.

Kim

19. Back To Top    #19

ellsian - The 6"x6" is Npt Blue Seas Royal Blue.
    Blue Seas | National Pool Tile Group

- - - Updated - - -

Love the agreement, Hawaiian seems to be a winner. I think it might be an upgrade of course but we'll find out.

Clean is a description we like to hear. We're going for geometric, clean lines, symmetry.
    21,405 gal., 16' x 22' x 36' SWG gunite pool, 6' x 9' flush spa, 18" raised bond beam w/ 3 24" sheers, 4 globerite LED, silver travertine coping/deck, Florida Stucco triple "blue gem" quartz finish, IntelliChlor IC-40, Pentair CC 200 cartridge, Thermeau Prestige TH125 heat/cool pump, Pentair 2-speed 2 HP Max-E-Pro (pool/spa), Pentair Supermax 1.5 HP (feature), Easytouch 8 w/ app/remote, Dolphin S300i robot

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

LOVE the Hawaiian with your tiles!!
    Denise-TFP Guide
    IG 13.6x30 gunite, Radiant Fusion Topaz, 3.6/5.6/4, 14100 gal, 2 skimmer, 4 Hayward LED lights (pool & spa), Hayward Echostar VSP, 2 future fire bowls, raised beam wall w/ scuppers,7x7 raised spa, DE Progrid70, SWG Hayward Goldline, OmniLogic, Hayward 400K BTU heater, stamped colored deck, Dolphin Discovery robotic cleaner, TF100 test kit, Newbie in Bixby Oklahoma

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast