Best way to lower CYA

anthony0005

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 27, 2015
Houston
Hello Everyone. I have been utilizing this site for a while and I have my first question. I have gone through the pool school section and have tried to find the answer in "search section". We have had water in the pool for about 1 month now. My wife and I were out of the country for the first two weeks and really don't know what chemicals were put into the pool to get it started. The pool builder sent his crew out and I'm not sure that he would get a accurate answer anyways. When I got home, I told them not to add anything else to the pool because I wanted to take it over. We finally had pool school last Wednesday and I started using my test. My FC was 18/ CC- 0/ CH- 250/ TA- 110/ CYA-60. I turned the Chlorinator down from 2.5 to 1 and took out all, but 1 puck. Saturday's test was about the same except CYA rose to 80. Today my levels are FC-16/CC-0/CH-250ppm/TA-110/ CYA-100. According tho the calculator I need to add 60%new water. When I talked with the pool builder he said that there isn't a way to drain water from the pool. He suggested that i add a hose and let the water drain into the overflow. Will that work? I could rent a pump and pump it out, if that would be better. I have truly appreciated this site over the past couple of months. Everything I know about pools has come from here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.- Overall, we are extremely happy with our pool and our pool builder. We would use him again if we were to build another pool.

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Why is the CYA continuing to rise?

How do you plan to chlorinate moving forward?

The pool builders way will work, but it is not the most efficient. Either renting a pump or buying an inexpensive one at someplace like Harbor Freight would be my recommendation.

Hi, welcome to TFP! You could do it that way but it seems like that would take awhile, and your going to have to test fairly frequently to make sure you don't overshoot your water replacement goal. I think I would get an inexpensive pump from Harbor Freight and drain about a third of the volume of the pool, then test and see where you stand. CYA is a very subjective test and it is best to try to read it in the same lighting conditions. Ideal conditions are strong sunlight with the sun at your back, holding the viewing tube at waist level while you read the test.

Welcome to the forum Anthony :wave:

If you still have a chlorinating puck in there please remove it too as it's adding CYA as it dissolves.
You need to wait a week from the time you took most of them out until you will get an accurate CYA reading. If it's been less than a week that CYA might still climb a bit higher :(

Thanks for the all of the responses/help. My plans have always been to use the TFP method of chlorinating but the pool builder beat me to the punch. I will use bleach and the other proven methods that I have learned about on this site. I didn't take the puck's out until Saturday and I will take the other out tonight. Thanks for letting me know about Harbor Freight, I will stop and get a pump tomorrow. I'm excited about moving forward and getting all of the levels correct. Again, thanks for the help and I will keep you updated as I drain the pool and test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.