Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Automatic pool water leveler

1. Back To Top    #1

Automatic pool water leveler

I am remodeling my in-ground pool and will be adding a automatic water leveler. There seem to be 2 basic styles. The first style (Pentair and Poolmiser) utilizes a Fluidmaster type float similar to the ones used and newer style toilets. The second style (Pool Corps. "the auto leveler") uses the old style toilet mechanism with a float attached to a horizontal rod.

My initial thought was that the Fluidmaster style would be preferable since:
    A. The unit is smaller and therefore less noticeable.
    B. The replacement can be purchased at Lowes or Home Depot.
    C. All piping is below ground and eliminates a freezing issue.

However, the company doing my remodel prefers the Pool Corp. unit. They argue that the Fluidmaster style mechanism is a constant problem and is much less reliable than the older style float mechanism. They also point out the Fluidmaster purchased at the hardware store doesn't include the hose attached to the factory unit which channels the water downward vs. the side of the cannister and prevent water from splashing out.

I would appreciate any feedback and/or experience as to reliability of these unit experienced by the Forum community. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Automatic pool water leveler

I agree. I have the old style Pentair autofill and it has operated flawlessly for over 3-1/2 years. The Fluidmaster valves seem cheap and less robust and they don't seem to last all that long. We have a few in toilets that need some attention or some parts every couple of years in our toilets.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Central Valley CA

Re: Automatic pool water leveler

I have the old style on my new pool as does a friend that I just replaced for him at 10+ years old the replacement was $15 on amazon.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, built Oct 2015, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, 10GPDStenner for chlorine, 3GPD Stenner for MA, TF-100.