Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polymer vs Iron Headers

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Polymer vs Iron Headers

We have a 2 year old Raypak CR407L NAT CI IID ASME Low Nox heater that has been nothing but trouble. I've used Raypak heaters for years without much fuss and generally get 5-7 years of use. I am contemplating switching to a heater with polymer headers and wondered if anyone had any comments on this material holding up in commercial environment.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Polymer vs Iron Headers

My Raypak came with plastic headers. Oops just noticed you have commercial heater. Sorry disregard
    15x54 swim & play vinyl metal wall AG
    Hayward S210T sand filter 1.5 HP Pentair Superflo vs
    Rheem raypak 130,000 BTU mv ng
    Jacuzzi 345 whirlpool bath
    TF-100 test kit, HM digital com100 Wanda the Whale

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

What are the issues you are having with the unit?

I know many commercial settings with these units and they have the polymer headers.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I don't sell or recommend polymer headers for commercial applications especially if it is going on a spa.

I too would like to know the current problems you are having...
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    What are the issues you are having with the unit?

I know many commercial settings with these units and they have the polymer headers.
    The burners seem to be melting and the cast iron headers are rusting and getting into the water.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Clown View Post
    I don't sell or recommend polymer headers for commercial applications especially if it is going on a spa.

I too would like to know the current problems you are having...
    The burners seem to be melting and the cast iron headers are rusting and getting into the water. At first I figured it was water chemistry but the reads are pretty consistent.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I would like to see the burners. Is this heater in a room? With venting? Any kind of a "meltdown" is almost always due to an overheat condition (of course). If in a room, i can't stress enough how important proper venting is. This includes "make up" air into the room as well as proper vent sizing.

If not in a room, i would suspect insufficient fuel mix or a "lean" condition (gas line undersized).

Heaters with blowers or fans don't always mean that a heater will be forced to vent properly.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I've seen a few things melt out the burners and one of them was a high gas pressure and that caused the holes in the burners to elongate. If the flames are huge, then you need to cut the pressure back so the flames are nice and blue. I have also seen where the heat exchanger is condensating onto the burners causing the same effect.

Also what Pool Clown said above is an issue as well.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,