Hayward Lateral Replacement??

joel0711

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 25, 2010
East Tennessee, 40 miles west of Knoxville Tn.
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hayward s244t sand filter..
Last season I had small bits of leaf material,etc that would not filter out thru the sand filter. I cleaned the filter twice with the method recommended here. Got lots of small bits to come out with the over flow,but still had bits returning to the pool at a rate that would clog my small filter on the Polaris 165 vacuum. I'm guessing the laterals may be cracked/broken allowing this to happen. Filter is 6 years old but has new multiport valve as of last year. Would lateral replacement cure this or possibly the whole lateral assembly with main tube also replaced???

Make sure the pipe from laterals is perpendicular and not out of center and you add water slowly when changing sand. I have this plastic piece that holds it. You probably already know this just trying to help

If it's a bad gasket they leak outside or mine kept discharging water out of the backwash hose when put in filter mode. Just guessing but the top of the stand pipe needs to fit snug in the multi port. My first one was kinda disintegrated so I replaced it. Also, I make sure I have the maximum level of sand. There shouldn't be leaves passing through it

The multiport gasket is a circle with multiple spokes. There are different ways for the water to leak depending on how the gasket might be damaged. It can be damaged in a way that allows water to bypass the filter without leaking to waste.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.