Pool deck choices

Jan 31, 2016
Sonora, California
So gunite is scheduled for this Thursday so we need to decided on the type on concrete for our pool deck. Originally we wanted to go with a salt finish but have been advised against due to our below freezing winters. So now we are between colored stamped or colored brushed......stamped looks better (also costs twice as much) but we are worried about it being very click when wet. I'm curious of what kind of decks you all have and how do you like it and would you change it if you could? Thanks.

Some people like exposed aggregate for the interest/color of the pebbles. Normally it's right around the cost of brushed concrete. I think it looks especially nice when natural stone like flagstone is used as coping. It gets too not on the feet here in TX, so we didn't go with it, but many people here still do. Just another idea.

I would go with colored brushed. Not slick and maintenance free. We are very happy with our colored rock salt finish, completely not slippery and no maintenance ever. We get a decent amount of below freezing weather and haven't had any issues in 3-1/2+ years. We even got into single digits and a blizzard during the polar vortex a couple of years ago. The pool actually froze over for the first time ever with the pump running. We almost had to move! :-D

I would go with colored brushed. Not slick and maintenance free. We are very happy with our colored rock salt finish, completely not slippery and no maintenance ever. We get a decent amount of below freezing weather and haven't had any issues in 3-1/2+ years. We even got into single digits and a blizzard during the polar vortex a couple of years ago. The pool actually froze over for the first time ever with the pump running. We almost had to move! :-D
Pooldv, thank you for your response! Do you happen to have any pictures of your concrete?

Why yes I do, there are lots of pics in my build thread, link in sig. The color is buff or sand. Some non-descript tan color name. Another plus is that it isn't too hot. Even in the Texas sun. Whereas the flagstone coping and flagstone paths around the pool cannot be walked on without flip flops in July and August.

I have exposed aggragate and I really like it. Its not slippery and I even have mine sealed.
You can get different colors of aggrate. If you want stone blue, you can get that. Tan w/ quartz, you can get that too (its what I have). There are several choices. Plenty of You Tube videos about exposed aggrate too. Lots more reasonable on cost than stamped concrete. At least where I live it is.

I will admit though, that I need flip flops to walk on it in July and August.

The exposed aggrate in Dave's photos is really common in Texas. It's pretty and I would see it everywhere when I lived there. Even my entire driveway and all my walkways were like that. But in other parts of the country I see exposed aggrate that isn't so pretty. Just mostly gray pebbles. So in most parts of the country you can't ask for exposed aggrate and expect it to look like that.

I went with regular old brushed concrete. But here's the kicker. I bought the Cool product from Encore coatings and coated it myself. The best parts is that I saved a ton of money by doing it myself (it wasn't hard), you can choose any color you want by simply adding a gallon of paint to the mixture (we chose a light sand color which pops with the blue of the pool), and it is SIGNIFICANTLY cooler than regular concrete. You can walk bare footed on it in the heat of the summer with no problems by all accounts.

Cool Deck Paint | Wood, Metal Concrete Coatings | Encore

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
nlindelldc - I'm curious how it's holding up regarding the color, etc. How long ago did you apply the Cool coating? Seems like it might be a good alternative for new concrete and also for someone who had their deck stained/painted but with it in need of being refreshed.

I went with regular old brushed concrete. But here's the kicker. I bought the Cool product from Encore coatings and coated it myself. The best parts is that I saved a ton of money by doing it myself (it wasn't hard), you can choose any color you want by simply adding a gallon of paint to the mixture (we chose a light sand color which pops with the blue of the pool), and it is SIGNIFICANTLY cooler than regular concrete. You can walk bare footed on it in the heat of the summer with no problems by all accounts.

we're gonna need some pics of that completed decking. I always figured it can't be that hard, I mean its not like its going to drip anywhere right?

It is great to hear a "real live" testimony for this product. I'd looked into it but was unsure of the coverage being what they say it should be, and how it holds up over time. Do you have insight on either of those factors from your experience?

nlindelldc - I'm curious how it's holding up regarding the color, etc. How long ago did you apply the Cool coating? Seems like it might be a good alternative for new concrete and also for someone who had their deck stained/painted but with it in need of being refreshed.

It's funny you guys are asking about it. I put the first coat on last week and then had to wait until they finished the rock waterfall, jump rock, etc. I just powerwashed the deck today and will be applying the second coat tomorrow, and then sealing it. I will definately post pictures here when I am done!

So I can't yet comment on the lengevity but I can say that it does indeed "cool" compared to the bare concrete next to it. And, yes, it is easy to apply with a NAP roller and a brush for the tight areas. It is expensive at $235, and I needed 2 buckets (I thought I could get by with one)

I'd probably use 8 buckets for mine and make like 4 different colors for my "stones" then use plain white to paint the grout lines...when ours fades, which its working on.

I never gave much thought to the exposed aggregate but think I may have liked it.

I would say it feels like brushed concrete, not abrasive really but not soft or slick either. It is a sunny hot day here and it does feel strangely cool under the feet.

And i will add that their "SealBack" product I used was the color and consistency of milk. Goes on real thin

I would say it feels like brushed concrete, not abrasive really but not soft or slick either. It is a sunny hot day here and it does feel strangely cool under the feet.

And i will add that their "SealBack" product I used was the color and consistency of milk. Goes on real thin

looks great, good job. so you just go ahead and coat over the expansion joints?

i like the "no coping" thing too, our last home had a pool with deck all the way to the pool edge.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.