Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool deck choices

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool deck choices

So gunite is scheduled for this Thursday so we need to decided on the type on concrete for our pool deck. Originally we wanted to go with a salt finish but have been advised against due to our below freezing winters. So now we are between colored stamped or colored brushed......stamped looks better (also costs twice as much) but we are worried about it being very click when wet. I'm curious of what kind of decks you all have and how do you like it and would you change it if you could? Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool deck choices

Some people like exposed aggregate for the interest/color of the pebbles. Normally it's right around the cost of brushed concrete. I think it looks especially nice when natural stone like flagstone is used as coping. It gets too not on the feet here in TX, so we didn't go with it, but many people here still do. Just another idea.
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

3. Back To Top    #3

I would go with colored brushed. Not slick and maintenance free. We are very happy with our colored rock salt finish, completely not slippery and no maintenance ever. We get a decent amount of below freezing weather and haven't had any issues in 3-1/2+ years. We even got into single digits and a blizzard during the polar vortex a couple of years ago. The pool actually froze over for the first time ever with the pump running. We almost had to move!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    I would go with colored brushed. Not slick and maintenance free. We are very happy with our colored rock salt finish, completely not slippery and no maintenance ever. We get a decent amount of below freezing weather and haven't had any issues in 3-1/2+ years. We even got into single digits and a blizzard during the polar vortex a couple of years ago. The pool actually froze over for the first time ever with the pump running. We almost had to move!
    Pooldv, thank you for your response! Do you happen to have any pictures of your concrete?

5. Back To Top    #5

Why yes I do, there are lots of pics in my build thread, link in sig. The color is buff or sand. Some non-descript tan color name. Another plus is that it isn't too hot. Even in the Texas sun. Whereas the flagstone coping and flagstone paths around the pool cannot be walked on without flip flops in July and August.
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

I have exposed aggragate and I really like it. Its not slippery and I even have mine sealed.
    You can get different colors of aggrate. If you want stone blue, you can get that. Tan w/ quartz, you can get that too (its what I have). There are several choices. Plenty of You Tube videos about exposed aggrate too. Lots more reasonable on cost than stamped concrete. At least where I live it is.

I will admit though, that I need flip flops to walk on it in July and August.

Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

8. Back To Top    #8

I have the stamped concrete and I love it, the look and the feel. It is not slippery at all. On hot August days, I have to run quickly though, but I love it!
    New Build started April 2015, 20x30x40 Lagoon Style Vinyl (indigo marble/blue granite), 27,500 GAL, IG, 839 square feet, 9' tanning ledge/baja shelf, 9' radial bench, 8' classic Waterfall, 3'6" to 8'Depth, Sand, Pentair 2 speed Superflow 1 1/2 HP, SWS, 2 Pentair LED Intelibright 5 G lights, Pentair Legend Platinum II pool cleaner, 2 skimmers, 3 returns. 1080 square feet of Silver Slate stamped concrete.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

The exposed aggrate in Dave's photos is really common in Texas. It's pretty and I would see it everywhere when I lived there. Even my entire driveway and all my walkways were like that. But in other parts of the country I see exposed aggrate that isn't so pretty. Just mostly gray pebbles. So in most parts of the country you can't ask for exposed aggrate and expect it to look like that.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

I went with regular old brushed concrete. But here's the kicker. I bought the Cool product from Encore coatings and coated it myself. The best parts is that I saved a ton of money by doing it myself (it wasn't hard), you can choose any color you want by simply adding a gallon of paint to the mixture (we chose a light sand color which pops with the blue of the pool), and it is SIGNIFICANTLY cooler than regular concrete. You can walk bare footed on it in the heat of the summer with no problems by all accounts.

Cool Deck Paint | Wood, Metal Concrete Coatings | Encore
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

nlindelldc - I'm curious how it's holding up regarding the color, etc. How long ago did you apply the Cool coating? Seems like it might be a good alternative for new concrete and also for someone who had their deck stained/painted but with it in need of being refreshed.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by nlindelldc View Post
    I went with regular old brushed concrete. But here's the kicker. I bought the Cool product from Encore coatings and coated it myself. The best parts is that I saved a ton of money by doing it myself (it wasn't hard), you can choose any color you want by simply adding a gallon of paint to the mixture (we chose a light sand color which pops with the blue of the pool), and it is SIGNIFICANTLY cooler than regular concrete. You can walk bare footed on it in the heat of the summer with no problems by all accounts.

we're gonna need some pics of that completed decking. I always figured it can't be that hard, I mean its not like its going to drip anywhere right?

13. Back To Top    #13

It is great to hear a "real live" testimony for this product. I'd looked into it but was unsure of the coverage being what they say it should be, and how it holds up over time. Do you have insight on either of those factors from your experience?
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreswim View Post
    nlindelldc - I'm curious how it's holding up regarding the color, etc. How long ago did you apply the Cool coating? Seems like it might be a good alternative for new concrete and also for someone who had their deck stained/painted but with it in need of being refreshed.

It's funny you guys are asking about it. I put the first coat on last week and then had to wait until they finished the rock waterfall, jump rock, etc. I just powerwashed the deck today and will be applying the second coat tomorrow, and then sealing it. I will definately post pictures here when I am done!

So I can't yet comment on the lengevity but I can say that it does indeed "cool" compared to the bare concrete next to it. And, yes, it is easy to apply with a NAP roller and a brush for the tight areas. It is expensive at $235, and I needed 2 buckets (I thought I could get by with one)
    15,000 gallon free form Viking fiberglass pool. Hayward Star-Clear Plus C12002 cartridge filter. Hayward Swim Pure Plus T-15 SWG. Testing with TF-100 Kit. 2 speed 1.5HP Supreme pump. Dolphin Nautilus robotic cleaner

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

I'd probably use 8 buckets for mine and make like 4 different colors for my "stones" then use plain white to paint the grout lines...when ours fades, which its working on.

I never gave much thought to the exposed aggregate but think I may have liked it.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

16. Back To Top    #16

As promised. Finished sealing today and gonna post pics.

17. Back To Top    #17

Nice! That looks great and it is cooler. Two out of three, now we just need to hope it lasts a long time
    TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

NICE! How does it feel on your feet? It looks smooth!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

I would say it feels like brushed concrete, not abrasive really but not soft or slick either. It is a sunny hot day here and it does feel strangely cool under the feet.

And i will add that their "SealBack" product I used was the color and consistency of milk. Goes on real thin

20. Back To Top    #20

I would say it feels like brushed concrete, not abrasive really but not soft or slick either. It is a sunny hot day here and it does feel strangely cool under the feet.

And i will add that their "SealBack" product I used was the color and consistency of milk. Goes on real thin
    looks great, good job. so you just go ahead and coat over the expansion joints?

i like the "no coping" thing too, our last home had a pool with deck all the way to the pool edge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast