5 Tips to Prevent Winter Damage

Wheels007

In The Industry
Aug 22, 2015
Winchester VA
I recently posted this on our blog at work. I thought you all might enjoy it as well.

5 Tips to Prevent Winter Damage to your Pool

Pool damage can be ugly and expensive! Use these simple tips to protect your pool.

Drain Rain and Snow Melt

Over the past few weeks we have had some big snows followed by warmer temps. With the potential for lower temps over the following weeks this is the most important thing you can do. For vinyl pools you can get water behind your liner or damage to the bead. If you have a gunite pool it’s even more crucial. If the water has risen to your tile line and refreezes it make crack or cause tiles to fall off. I recommend Little Giant pumps. See Tip #4.

Check Your Skimmers

Make sure your winterization device is holding up. People use lots of different methods to winterize skimmers. If you're unsure what was used they all serve one basic purpose. To crush under the pressure of the ice instead of cracking the plastic of the skimmer. If yours fails use a shop vac to completely drain skimmer. Then, using swimming pool antifreeze pour half gallon in skimmer. Recap the remaining half gallon and place in skimmer. Done!

Inspect Your Cover

The weight from almost 3 ft of snow can put quite a stress on your cover and it’s attachments. Visually inspect everything. Double check any water bags or lawn anchors. If your cover falls in the pool it can open you up to a host of problems. Best case is still weeks of cleanup in the spring.

Take Care of Your Cover Pump

Cover pumps are great tools to prevent damage during the winter but they can also be damaged by the freezing temps. To keep them in good shape you only need to do 2 basic things. Don’t let them run dry! They can deal with a lot more heat than most motors but they also use the water to cool themselves. 15 minutes of running dry no problem, 6 hours not a good idea. Also bring it in when you're done using it. Some contain switches to sense water level. These switches and other sensitive parts can be damaged if allowed to freeze.

Don't Forget Your Water

Over the winter your water will separate into layers. These layers can potentially have harmfully low (or high) PH and other balances. When your pool thaws use your cover pump to circulate the water. Remove the hose and drop it to the bottom of your deep end for (3) 12 hour cycles. This is also a great time to use a 60% Algaecide to help keep your water clean and clear.

I am not so sure about rule #5. I don't think winter stratification of the pool water has ever been reported here on the forum and I am not sure what is likely to make that happen.

That said, I am down in Normally Warm Florida (yikes!) so what do I know? Maybe others will enlighthen.

I can see why you might say that duraleigh. This is from my hands on education so it is suspect. If the people that taught me were misinformed, which is entirely possible. I have never seen clear damage over just one winter. But I have noticed damage seems to occur in levels in older pools. I'll try to post a photo of an example later. I love the BBB method but personally like the margin for error that 60% Algacide can afford. So I guess I use some sort of hybrid system. That's why I suggested tip #5. I'm really curious to hear anyone else's thoughts.

uploadfromtaptalk1455070294358.jpg

Yea that pool wasn't opened for 2 years. But all of that damage didn't occur during that time period. Most of it took place during the preceding 5 years and I know the owner kept at least a loose eye on the balances. The darkest green areas had the most damage. You have plenty of experience bandit. I'm posting this stuff because I want to talk about it and learn from many different people's thoughts and opinions.
24695f5d154ec677347c7d5299536682.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Very seldom is there a reason to be concerned with the pH during the winter. The pH will slowly rise on its own as the water temps get colder which counteracts much of the effect temperature has on CSI during cold temps. This change helps greatly keep the CSI under control in plaster pools. Also, cold water slows down the chemical reactions including the damage to plaster.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.