Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air bubbles in some return jets

1. Back To Top    #1

Air bubbles in some return jets

Good morning everyone !

I had to come up with a new problem ... I replaced the main pump last week (from 3/4HP to 1.5HP) and I noticed that there are some air bubbles going out of 2 jets (out of 12). They are located in the pool. I have 6 jets in the pool and 6 jets in the spa. I would understand the problem if it was the same issue for all the jets but it is not. I checked the pump and there is absolutely NO air in the pump basket. It is full of water.

Any ideas ?

Thanks !
    G
    Guillaume B.

12k pool and spa spillover / In-Ground pool / Gunite pool / Swimclear cartridge filter / Hayward SPX3215Z1PE pump / Installed in 2004 / Intellichlor SWG / Hayward heater H400FDN

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Air bubbles in some return jets

How many bubbles are we talking about?

A couple every few seconds? A steady stream of small bubbles? A steady stream of larger bubbles?

I believe this is a single speed pump, so no chance of seeing if it changes at a lower speed.

Are the jets that are emitting the air bubbles the closest (shortest plumbing runs) from the pump or not?
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

My bet is that it is your SWG. Mine does that.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    How many bubbles are we talking about?

A couple every few seconds? A steady stream of small bubbles? A steady stream of larger bubbles?

I believe this is a single speed pump, so no chance of seeing if it changes at a lower speed.

Are the jets that are emitting the air bubbles the closest (shortest plumbing runs) from the pump or not?
    No it's more a steady stream of small bubbles. And yes they are the two pool jets close to the pump. But the spa jets are even closer and none of them have bubbles. I also noticed that the flow is cloudy at the jet (but that might just be the bubbles that makes it look like it).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    My bet is that it is your SWG. Mine does that.
    Yes I heard that coule be an explanation
    Guillaume B.

12k pool and spa spillover / In-Ground pool / Gunite pool / Swimclear cartridge filter / Hayward SPX3215Z1PE pump / Installed in 2004 / Intellichlor SWG / Hayward heater H400FDN

5. Back To Top    #5

It is most likely your SWG producing the bubbles and by increasing your pump horsepower, you have increased the flow rate so you're seeing the bubbles more readily.

Check out this discussion, especially chem geek's clarifications. SWG - Tiny Cloudy Bubbles coming from jets
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

As you can see there is some kind of by-pass on the return line. The SWG goes out to two different lines (pool and spa).

The return to the pool has a by-pass with a smaller section and a green cap (see bottom right). Do any of you guys know what this is for ? When the cap is loose I can hear some air and when it is tight there are no more bubbles in the pool

Attachment 45085
    Guillaume B.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have never seen anything like that before. I can't see it very well though because the pic is dark in that area.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Here is a picture of the pool return line out of SWG. Depending on how tight the green cap is there will be bubbles or not...

IMG_0884.jpg
    Guillaume B.

9. Back To Top    #9

When I tried to open the cap, there is no water going out of it. I can only hear air.

Also I forgot to mention that there was a Ozone system but I took it out since it was not working

I found this schematic online and it looks like it ...

Capture.jpg
    Guillaume B.

10. Back To Top    #10

Wave a barbecue lighter over the bubbles. If they are hydrogen from your cell, they will snap and crackle.
    SWG: CircuPool (May 2014) SI30+Plus; 3000ppm seems ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.4-7.6; TA 90; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter, Borates
    TAYLOR K - 2006

11. Back To Top    #11

I was getting some bubbles from an air leak on the suction side. It wasn't going to all the return jets equally as I might have expected, just one or two of them were bubbling.
    Pool: 16,000 gallons, 16x31, 500SqFt gunite pool, White Pebbletec interior, built by Cody Pools. Pentair Intelliflo VS-3050 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear 420 Cartridge Filter, In-line chlor with Ultra UV, PV3 Infloor cleaning, Pentair Easytouch-P4 control. TF-100
    Spa: 525 Gallons, Coast fiberglass spa of unknown vintage and suspect previous care with a 2-speed main pump and a blower motor, both 4HP. 3-step bromine sanitized.

12. Back To Top    #12

After looking into it some more, I believe that narrow tube with the cap on it is a venturi tube designed to be used with an ozone system.

See here:
    Pool Ozonators - DEL Ozone IU-201 Parts Bag for the Eclipse 1-4 - 9-0210/1
    DEL Ozone MDV-10 Mixing Degas Vessel for Eclipse 1,2, and 4

If you're only seeing bubbles when that cap is loose, keep it tight. Check any o-rings or seals in the cap. Looks like you're not using ozone now so it's not really doing anything... other than pulling air into your system. These venturi tubes are designed to create a vacuum as the result of water flow through them. If it's not capped tightly, it will suck air into your return side, resulting in bubbles.

13. Back To Top    #13

Correct ! There was a DEL Ozone system that I took out of the wall a couple months ago. The cap is now tight and no more bubbles (almost)
    Guillaume B.