is low CYA harmful to a vinyl liner?

borjis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2014
Pacific NW
Because CYA acts as a buffer to chlorine...does that mean that little to zero cya is bad for a liner
as the chlorine is then "more harsh." or is it less harsh to swim wear and skin more than anything else?

I had CYA of 30 just before winter started...I have zero now due to lots of rain and having to
drain down to keep the fill level correct.

Very curious about this since my liner is brand new.

I've ordered more cya to get it back up again.

I keep my chlorine levels always between the recommended 2-6ppm for a cya level of 30
since 30 works best for me (pool mostly shaded)

If you maintain the proper FC/CYA ratio, then no it's not since the hypochlorous acid level is the same. The problem is, when you get to low CYA levels, it's harder to maintain a smaller FC value.

Your liner should be fine. It has to be exposed to really high active chlorine levels (shock values) to be worried about liner colors fading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

You could just switch to dichlor chlorination until your CYA builds up.

And, you very likely have some CYA in the water. The Taylor test is hard to read below 30ppm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Dichlor is not a fave around TFP because it adds CYA and you need to be able to account for that in your calculations. However, that's what I use for CYA additions. (I was lucky enough to buy a 50# pail of granules a couple of years ago. Now, you may have to buy 1# bags). EDIT: Pails are still available but the prices vary significantly.

I keep my CYA at low levels so if it drops a tad, I can't measure it accurately. A bit of dichlor for FC instead of bleach works a treat until my CYA once again registers. Then I switch back to liquid chlorine.

I spent 100's of dollars one season to correct 300+ cya (water rates where I used to live were highway robbery)
on my last pool.

So now, I hate pucks on principle, but 'might' use them if I'm ever away for a week vacation. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.