Sta rite pool heater problems

Feb 8, 2016
Bahamas
Am having a problem with my sta rite 400btu propane heater, it's about 3yrs old. It comes on runs through the start up cycles calls for heat, the heater comes on runs for 4 seconds then the heating stops the service light comes on, the blower remains on and it goes through the start up cycle again and does the same thing.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Separate the two halves of the unit, remove the two clips to the dome top and flip it over. On the board are a few LEDS that if lit, will give you a three letter code to might be wrong.

If you are positive the heater is firing for 4 seconds (rumble), does it put steam out through the exhaust? If no steam, does it knock, tap, or bang?
It gives a (rumbles) and give steam, you can feel the heat then it cuts out and the red service light comes on then it resets and goes through that same process again.<br />
<br />

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey, the heater was off for a while from main power I don't know if that had reset something, but I turn system and ran it, it started at 74°. I ran it an made it to shut off at 75°. It seemed to run ok I did this few times taking it up to 76° that last letting it shut off on satisfied temp and restarted on lower temp on it own at all times. I don't know if that is nomal. I did loose the lower bolts and no water came out.

Good news. You should try to bring the water temp up to a higher set point though. If you have a problem with the therm-by pass, it may not show symptoms (short cycling) till it heats to the 80-90 degree range. This would be easy to do if you have a spa. But If you don't, just wait till the springtime and you are ready to start heating for the season.

Did go up to the 80 to 90° and just like you said the short cycling started every about 1min 50 seconds, the heater will shut out the service heater light will come on while the blower remains running, after that 1min 50 seconds or so the service heater light will go out the heater light will come on and seconds later the heater will fire up it is consistently doing this.

Did go up to the 80 to 90° and just like you said the short cycling started every about 1min 50 seconds, the heater will shut out the service heater light will come on while the blower remains running, after that 1min 50 seconds or so the service heater light will go out the heater light will come on and seconds later the heater will fire up it is consistently doing this.

Yep sounds like a bad thermal regulator. Pull it out and I bet you'll find it's all junked up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.