Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sta rite pool heater problems

1. Back To Top    #1

Sta rite pool heater problems

Am having a problem with my sta rite 400btu propane heater, it's about 3yrs old. It comes on runs through the start up cycles calls for heat, the heater comes on runs for 4 seconds then the heating stops the service light comes on, the blower remains on and it goes through the start up cycle again and does the same thing.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Sta rite pool heater problems

Separate the two halves of the unit, remove the two clips to the dome top and flip it over. On the board are a few LEDS that if lit, will give you a three letter code to might be wrong.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

If you are positive the heater is firing for 4 seconds (rumble), does it put steam out through the exhaust? If no steam, does it knock, tap, or bang?
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

4. Back To Top    #4

It gives a (rumbles) and give steam, you can feel the heat then it cuts out and the red service light comes on then it resets and goes through that same process again.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ps0303 View Post
    Separate the two halves of the unit, remove the two clips to the dome top and flip it over. On the board are a few LEDS that if lit, will give you a three letter code to might be wrong.
    Is this done with the unit powered up?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Pool Clown View Post
    If you are positive the heater is firing for 4 seconds (rumble), does it put steam out through the exhaust? If no steam, does it knock, tap, or bang?
    It gives a (rumbles) and give steam, you can feel the heat then it cuts out and the red service light comes on then it resets and goes through that same process again.<br />
    <br />
    Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Remove one of the two lower flange bolts on the heater, and see if water comes out.

You DON'T want this when you take the bolt out...

8. Back To Top    #8

What is that telling me when that happens

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

If that happens it telling you that the heat exchanger inside has a hole(s) in it. I would replace the entire heater at that point.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

10. Back To Top    #10

Wow, I will check out, if it is not that what else should I check.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thank you

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

One thing at a time...

13. Back To Top    #13

Hey guys am still here, have not gotten to the heater as yet to do nothing my mom was not doing well, and she died, so that has really set me back.

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Sorry for your loss. Family first.
    Paul

15. Back To Top    #15

Should i remove the lower flange bolts with system on or with no circulation?

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

Doesn't matter. The area behind that bolt is the firebox. And you only need to remove one bolt.

17. Back To Top    #17

Hey, the heater was off for a while from main power I don't know if that had reset something, but I turn system and ran it, it started at 74. I ran it an made it to shut off at 75. It seemed to run ok I did this few times taking it up to 76 that last letting it shut off on satisfied temp and restarted on lower temp on it own at all times. I don't know if that is nomal. I did loose the lower bolts and no water came out.

18. Back To Top    #18

In the Industry

Good news. You should try to bring the water temp up to a higher set point though. If you have a problem with the therm-by pass, it may not show symptoms (short cycling) till it heats to the 80-90 degree range. This would be easy to do if you have a spa. But If you don't, just wait till the springtime and you are ready to start heating for the season.

19. Back To Top    #19

Did go up to the 80 to 90 and just like you said the short cycling started every about 1min 50 seconds, the heater will shut out the service heater light will come on while the blower remains running, after that 1min 50 seconds or so the service heater light will go out the heater light will come on and seconds later the heater will fire up it is consistently doing this.

20. Back To Top    #20

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk A Stuart View Post
    Did go up to the 80 to 90 and just like you said the short cycling started every about 1min 50 seconds, the heater will shut out the service heater light will come on while the blower remains running, after that 1min 50 seconds or so the service heater light will go out the heater light will come on and seconds later the heater will fire up it is consistently doing this.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
    Yep sounds like a bad thermal regulator. Pull it out and I bet you'll find it's all junked up.
    Paul

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast