Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Owner with a Question

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Owner with a Question

First, I'll start by saying hello to all! I have heard a lot of great things about this forum and hope to gain some worthy knowledge in the pursuit of managing our new pool on my own. A little bit of background... we just moved to the Houston area from Cleveland, OH, and our new (to us) home came with a lovely pool and spa. As far as the inspector can figure, the pool is original to the house (1991), but it has been replastered at some point, it has a newer pump (loud), a newer spa blower, and original heater (big and likely quite inefficient). The pool is about 16,000 gallons, and the spa can seat 6-8.
    Ok, enough background, on to my first big question...
    I have noticed that in some valve positions, like when I isolate the spa to heat the water faster, I end up with water in the ground around my pump and equipment. I then noticed that the PVC down pipe from the blower is perforated from about 2 inches above ground going down. Is it supposed to be perforated?! I have since witnessed water coming out of the perforated holes in some normal operating situations and this has me alarmed. I would figure a perforated pipe to be the last thing you want around any of your pool lines. I welcome everyone's advice!

Thank you!

Kevin

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Owner with a Question

It should be noted that repairs were done to the blower not long before we purchased the house...

16K, In Ground, Attached Spa, White Plaster, Jacuzzi 2.5hp VS Pump, 60' DE Filter, Sta Rite 400HD Heater, Auto-Chlorinator

3. Back To Top    #3

Pictures of the equipment and the pipe in question would really help.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, welcome to the forum.
    In ground, 14,000 gallon, white plaster, unheated, stone waterfall, DE Filter, Rainbow 320 Cl, Polaris 3900, FloVis flow meter, F100 test kit, Circupool RJ30+ SWG, Circupool VJ1/Speck Badu EcoM3V variable speed pump.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I can only venture a guess that the blower provided more air flow than what was desirable in the spa. This could have been a way to vent that excess flow. The blower lines are plumbed into a separate line so that's why you don't see water shooting out when the pumps on. Does it only leak a small amount of water when you shut the blower off?

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum Kmetz

When you get a chance please go into your Settings and add you pool and equipment to your signature. Knowing what you have is often times handy for answering questions.
    How to - - > Pool School - Getting Started
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!