Where to find union fittings for RS1500

Odi

May 3, 2014
United States
I have a Hayward RS1500 pump on which I cannot get the outlet to stop leaking. The 2" adapter threads all the way in and bottoms out on the inside of the pump. I even tried cutting a bit off the bottom of the adapter, and now it just bottoms out on the shoulder. Generous applications of teflon tape and pipe dope aren't helping.

The pump outlet also has an o-ring groove and external threads for a union connection, but a normal 2" union is much too large. How can I find the appropriate union bits for this pump? I've found several Hayward union kits, but nothing with any mention of my pump.

My next best guess is to just glue the adapter in, and I'd really rather not.

I was hoping that would fit, but I can't find any evidence that it does.

Spoke to a Hayward support guy today who told me that the only thing that fits that pump is the RS750KIT, which is the Leslies-exclusive union kit for this Leslies-exclusive pump. Currently listed on their site at $83. I won't participate in that insanity.

He also recommended Plasti-Joint Stik, which I guess I'll try next.

If the fitting is bottoming out, closely inspect the threads on the pump side. Sounds like the threads may be cracked. Check for vertical and horizontal cracks, horizontal will be the toughest to see.

Threaded plumbing fittings should be tapered and not be doing what you report (bottoming out).

Agreed, 83 bucks for unions is a bit steep.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.