Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tiny Hole In Skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Tiny Hole In Skimmer

What is the purpose of this hole in my skimmer? It's the opposite side of the weir door and about the diameter of my pinky.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tiny Hole In Skimmer

Welcome to TFP!!

My gut feeling would be an overflow/overfill drain, but that is just a guess.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Maybe your finger is just bigger than mine, but I have a hole there just like that in one of my skimmers. It has a 1/2 pipe that goes back to the equipment pad and allow we to fill the pool via an automated valve. In my other skimmer, the same hole is plugged.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

4. Back To Top    #4

It's an overflow/drain on mine.

5. Back To Top    #5

Just guessing, but could it be a secondary inlet as a safety feature to prevent too much vacuum causing a small child etc. getting stuck to the skimmer if they lean up against it or in it?
    Fibreglass 48000 litre in-ground. Viron P320 EVO variable speed pump. EVO HEAT Force 18 heat pump. 32" Zodiac sand filter. Pool Controls Gemini 6+ Sanitizer & pH management system & SWG. Waterco auto water leveller. Paramount Vantage in-floor cleaning system. SR Smith 'Turbo Twister' water slide. Taylor K-2006 test kit.
    Build details at Not quite under construction anymore. Just a few things to finish off.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

It is an overflow. That is a standard location of installing one. In a rare case that could be a filler line to add water to the pool but that is much less likely.

The water level should not be that high if that is an overflow. If you have an autofiller, check to make sure it isn't stuck open and you are dumping water down the drain.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page