Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is this? Calcium?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is this? Calcium?

I just noticed this today. I had a new pebble finish put in back in June/July and have kept the PH around 7.2 till Dec/Jan only recently did I move it up to a more normal level. It is currently 7.5, and my Cal is at 350ppm. I just noticed today some sort of white rings developing around the perimeter of the individual pebbles. Anyone know what this is? or what to do about it? In some places its really not that noticeable and in others its worse. It seems to be the most pronounced right below the skimmer.

IMG_2252 by maleora99, on Flickr

IMG_2251 by maleora99, on Flickr

IMG_2250 by maleora99, on Flickr

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is this? Calcium?

Do you have a full set of test results?
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Also, what type of pebble coating is that as it does not look like a standard PebbleTek (TM) coating. There's a lot of plaster in those pictures and very little exposed aggregate.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

It also looks polished or sanded too like a quartz finish.... nothing like a typical pebble finish
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

5. Back To Top    #5

This was a NPT stonescapes pebble finish. I had the same questions as you about the amount of exposed pebble - which is much less than the sample board. I was told by a warrently rep and another installer (not the one I used) that this is normal... and that the samples always have much more exposure. Keep in mind these photos are also very close up.

It is possible that there wasn't enough exposure initially - the pool was completed with a hot start up - but again every expert I called for a 2nd opinion told me it looks the way it is supposed to. *shrug*

Anyway...
    A fresh run of tests gave the following results
    FC 5
    CC .5
    Cal 325
    TA - 60 (this is low)
    CYA - 24 (really low)
    PH - 7.5

The pool is currently on chlorine - I was going to reactivate my salt system today and was checking the pool before heading out to the store for supplies when I found this. I held off because I didn't want to go messing with any other variables till I could determine what was going on.

6. Back To Top    #6

How did you get your test results?

Has your PH been stable? If so it might like the TA where it is. Every pool is very different in this regard.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Your picture looks nothing like the images on the NPT website. If your entire pool looks like that, then I seriously think the applicator screwed up the aggregate-to-plaster mix.

Have you contacted NPT about this? They should have the final say in what constitutes a proper aggregate density and exposure.

As for the white halo's around the pebbles, it's really hard to say. It almost looks like the plaster has lost/leached its color. If it's raised, then maybe it's calcium deposits from the underlying plaster and the interface between the pebble and plaster is allowing calcium to leach through and form calcium carbonate. I would expect the crevice to eventually seal up and stop growing but it's hard to say.

If you apply a small amount of diluted muriatic acid to the area (like a underwater acid etch) does the white halo go away?

Matt

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Unfortunately if you paid for stonescapes pebble this is far from an acceptable application. You should contact the distributor directly and get a third opinion. I agree with above, it looks more like a polished product, maybe Wet Edge Primera Stone.