What will it take to clean the dirt from my pool?

Dirt on pool step 1.jpgdirt on pool step 2.jpgclean pool step.jpg

So I have been testing phosphates because they are algae food and I just thought with all our blowing dust that I could at least monitor that and keep it to a minimum. Been working well so far without adding any of the recommended items from the pool store.

These pictures show the dirt that accumulates which I use the Catfish Pool Blaster to clean up most of the time (or brush it into the general pool water).

As for water testing: pH 7.6, FCl 0, CCl 0, Ca hardness 300, Phosphates 100, Cyanuric Acid 40, TA 80

Are the spring mesh covers something specific for the M5? The picture from Patrick just looked like regular fine particle filters.

I caught-up on this thread from post #1. The robot cleaner being a prime concern, and how to collect all that dirt. I'll let the others reply who have the Dolphin and other such products. But your last test results are concerning. FC is zero? Please get some bleach in there ASAP! Zero chlorine is a welcome invitation to algae. Based on a CYA of 40, your target FC should be 5. I'd take it up to about 7 or so just to be safe and check for consistency each day.

I have a kreepy krawly and a Hayward Sharc Vac. The Sharc pretty much lives in my pool (I'm in AZ too, hooray it's almost monsoon season again! :taped: ) The Sharc has removable / washable filters that get 95% of the dust off the bottom. However, even though it's supposed to, it can't do the steps, so when we get a blow, I've got to vacuum those by hand.

I know this answer is el-stinko, but I run my pump on ultra-low speed (like 500RPM) with the skimmer only for most of the summer, and clean my cartridges about every other month. That seems to keep the heavy dirt down, but I'm in tempe and protected with a 7 foot wall, so our dust may not be as bad as yours.

Brett--What do you use as a vacuum for your steps? My catfish blaster has an issue with the on-off button (and it won't turn off unless it's plugged in and charging). I wouldn't mind getting a good replacement.

I would like to repeat a couple of folks.....

And Leebo recommended that I get test results from my kit and a photo of my water to help you all better see what I'm working with.
Based on the insistent prodding to add chlorine, am I to surmise that you all think the particles accumulating on the step in the pictures are NOT dirt? And that a Dolphin cleaner won't fix my problem?

It would be wrong for us to assume the debris is not dirt without accurate results from one of the recommended test kits you've heard us mention earlier. Actually, some of the other members here have agreed with you that they've experience similar situations (dirt) that you seem to be having. The big difference there is that those members have either the TF-100 or K-2006 to rule-out anything else (organics) so that they know for sure what they are dealing with. Some products in the water can look very similar, so only the proper testing will say for sure. I couldn't tell from the last few posts if you ever did get one of those test kits.

The probing about chlorine is just our basic ABC water chemistry to ensure your water stays sanitized and clear. Having the correct FC to match your current CYA as noted on the Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart is very, very important.

- - - Updated - - -

But I would say this with total confidence .... if you don't have a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006, I would encourage you to get one of those first before the Dolphin. It's simply that important, and you may be surprised what you learn from either one of those kits.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Texas Splash. I forgot to include that my tests were with the recommended TF-100 test kit. Love all the different testing possibilities! I have updated my signature to include my test kit--the TF-100. With that said, I think I did all the possible tests and phosphate testing since I still have some of those strips left.

Thanks Texas Splash. I forgot to include that my tests were with the recommended TF-100 test kit. Love all the different testing possibilities! I have updated my signature to include my test kit--the TF-100. With that said, I think I did all the possible tests and phosphate testing since I still have some of those strips left.
Are these the results from the TF-100?
As for water testing: pH 7.6, FCl 0, CCl 0, Ca hardness 300, Phosphates 100, Cyanuric Acid 40, TA 80

If so, TS was correct - you need to get chlorine int he pool ASAP.

Don't worry about phosphate testing; we tend to ignore phosphates. Pool stores use those numbers as a scare tactic to sell you additional products that are really not necessary. In a properly sanitized pool algae cannot grow, no matter how high the phosphate level.

So, your next step is to conduct an Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT). For your pool with 40 CYA we recommend you target 5ppm FC so that it never drops below your minimum FC or 3. So, bring your pool up to 5 and follow the OCLT directions. This will tell us if it is dirt or organics growing in the water.

Also, if you could do us a favor, please report water testing in the following format - it just makes it much easier for us to read and we are stuck in old habits :)

FC 0
CC 0
pH 7.6
TA 80
CH 300
CYA 40

I brush and vacuum my steps by hand :-( Only thing I've found that works.

Truth be told, I usually brush and vacuum the entire pool by hand once a week, and let the shark or (I actually have a Zodiac G2, but it's the same as the kreepy) bump along thing keep the pool clean the rest of the week.

So you mentioned that you are using the Pureion system. I saw these guys at the Maricopa Co Home and Garden show last weekend at the Phoenix Stadium. They seemed pretty caggie and not very forthcoming with info on the system. How is it working out for you?

Get that FC under control, then +1000 on the M500. It's my first and only experience with a robot, and I couldn't be happier. I tossed him in when I got him, thinking that my pool was pretty clean, and I couldn't believe what came out of the filters.

Good luck!

The Dolphin cleaners are excellent. I have the M4 and am very happy with it. It picks up everything, including fine dirt, from everywhere except the walk-in stairs.

That said, with FC at 0 you are going to have problems with or without a cleaner. Get some chlorine into your pool quickly. Filtration and disinfection are two different things. Both must be right to have clean and clear water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.