Winter Questions

Dec 27, 2013
Hi - I'm in northern New Jersey so I'm still a few months away from opening my pool, but there are two things concerning me:

(1) We had very warm weather earlier this winter, although it's been very cold since early January. I've been told warm weather during the winter can lead to bigger problems with algae when you open the pool in the spring. I'm wondering what I can do now to preemptively deal with it.

(2) We had over two feet of snow two weeks ago, which has all subsequently melted. I think the water level is right up to the cover, and it even looks like it might be a bit above it in the middle. Should I pump some water out?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer guidance. I've had the pool for a couple years, but I'm still very much a novice.

Enjoy the game today, everyone!

Andy

Hi Andy,
I'm close by (southern rockland county ny) and have had a pool for 15 years now (still a novice myself). I would not worry about algae. I've never had a problem from warm temps (only ones that I caused myself :)). This goes for above and unground pools. I worked for a pool company years ago and I'd see dark water with mesh covers but shocking like is instructed here would clear it right up. I wouldn't do anything now. Maybe when the water temp get above 60 there is something but since you can't run the pump I'd just wait. I wouldn't pump off the water personally. The reason being is that upon opening, once the water is clear, you can vacuum to waste and not have to worry about needing to add water. If it came up to the coping I would pump a few inches but I suspect it might be the cover sagging in the middle that makes it look so high at that point. Spring can't get here fast enough. I always felt opening was near once the Super Bowl ended. Hope it's a good game!
Thanks, Chris

Thanks Chris, I agree spring can't get here quick enough. I appreciate the response - I always like it when the response is I don't have to do anything!

If we get more snow and it warms up I may decide to pump out some water. Otherwise just counting down the weeks.

Enjoy the game & thanks again.

Andy

I would agree with Chris's advice. Relax and enjoy the seasonal pool break until the water temp climbs. In the meantime, be prepared to have a full set of reagents ready for your TF-100 or K-2006 and you'll be able to adjust quickly in a few weeks. :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.