Need Advice on Getting THIS Result

Feb 6, 2016
austin, tx
903c2a50e68b01617fbe1c8df5bd069b.jpg
I want to create a soaking tub in the wetroom I am building in my house, and I want the finished product to be, of course, waterproof and watertight, but I also want to keep the look of concrete, i.e., no tile, sort of like the tub in the above image. I figure I'd fill all the cores of the cinder blocks with rebar and concrete (of course on a solid foundation), but then what? should I take the pool plastering approach? I mean, swimming pools with it layers of gunite, and pool plaster are durable and water tight, so why not treat the building of this soaking tub like building a swimming pool with its concrete and steel reinforced walls as the gunite layer, and then apply a couple of coats of plaster inside and out using a grey portland cement pool plastering mixture . . . ? Is there a waterproofing product that will make the tub watertight, that looks like concrete?

Modern-concrete-bathroom-3.jpg

Attachments

• bathroom.jpg
    bathroom.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 174
I think if you go with a grey plaster or pebble product you might get the look you want. One concern is that plaster needs to stay we, that is one reason tile is used at the water line. Pebble might be able to be run above the water line though.

It looks like that is simply poured concrete with a smooth finish. They will take a while to dry in some cases. You might talk to an architect with some experience in this area -- he may have more product ideas.

Traditional pool plaster is designed to remain wet and tends to deteriorate when dry. Some of the products by pebble tec apparently do not have that problem. You might talk to them.

One thought is to construct your structure with concrete blocks and than coat with a grout or mortar like Rapid Set's cement all or mortar. It apparently does fine in wet environments and will even set under water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.