Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need Advice on Getting THIS Result

1. Back To Top    #1

austin, tx

Lightbulb Need Advice on Getting THIS Result

I want to create a soaking tub in the wetroom I am building in my house, and I want the finished product to be, of course, waterproof and watertight, but I also want to keep the look of concrete, i.e., no tile, sort of like the tub in the above image. I figure I'd fill all the cores of the cinder blocks with rebar and concrete (of course on a solid foundation), but then what? should I take the pool plastering approach? I mean, swimming pools with it layers of gunite, and pool plaster are durable and water tight, so why not treat the building of this soaking tub like building a swimming pool with its concrete and steel reinforced walls as the gunite layer, and then apply a couple of coats of plaster inside and out using a grey portland cement pool plastering mixture . . . ? Is there a waterproofing product that will make the tub watertight, that looks like concrete?

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tallahassee, FL

Re: Need Advice on Getting THIS Result

I don't know BUT I so want to see you do this! That looks neat!

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

I think if you go with a grey plaster or pebble product you might get the look you want. One concern is that plaster needs to stay we, that is one reason tile is used at the water line. Pebble might be able to be run above the water line though.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Mesa, Az

Look into Xypex as a sealer for your project. It is used in water/sewer plant tanks so it should work in your application as well.

5. Back To Top    #5

Sacramento, CA

It looks like that is simply poured concrete with a smooth finish. They will take a while to dry in some cases. You might talk to an architect with some experience in this area -- he may have more product ideas.

Traditional pool plaster is designed to remain wet and tends to deteriorate when dry. Some of the products by pebble tec apparently do not have that problem. You might talk to them.

One thought is to construct your structure with concrete blocks and than coat with a grout or mortar like Rapid Set's cement all or mortar. It apparently does fine in wet environments and will even set under water.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Heliocol solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

las vegas

Try looking at Thorough Seal, have used in overflow gutters and surge tanks with good results.

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk