I'm looking to do a full equipment refresh this year and could use some advice. Basically replacing everything between the return lines and supply line.
40k gallon in-ground with vinyl liner
dogbone shape, ~41' long by (21'-18'-21') wide
~3.5' to 9.5' deep, mostly slope and deep end
about 10 years old, I have owned it for 6 yrs
I am just west of Indianapolis and surrounded by trees and farm fields. We winterize, typically have it open from May-Sept. Previous equipment was just a pump and sand filter, but I'd like to step things up. The goal is for my family to swim as much as they can with as little work as possible.
This is my first thought for a setup:
Pump - Not sure on this, may depend on automation. I normally left the old pump on 24/7, so not sure if VS pump would benefit me.
Filter - Had sand but considering cartridge. I have a Pentair Clean & Clear 420 catridge in the shed from the previous owners, who replaced it with sand because they couldn't get the water clear.
Heat pump (no gas available here)- Looking at either Hayward 140 btu or Pentair 125k btu, just based on size and brand recognition
SWG - Currently on chlorine, would like to convert
pH feeder - May depend on automation
Robotic Cleaner - I've seen good things about Blue Diamond, but haven't done much research
Automation - Not sure if I would get any value from this. Would the individual systems be sufficient? (SWG, pH monitor feed, heat pump, ...)
Some questions I have:
1. Should I stick with the same brand for all items? Do brands "play nice" with each other?
2. Will I regret a cartridge filter when I open the pool? It has been green every year I've opened it. The previous owners said they changed because they had trouble getting the water clear with the cartridge.
3. Will the Hayward 140k btu provide more heat than the Pentair 125k btu, or is there another factor that would affect performance? Any other heat pumps I should consider?
4. I've seen SWG cells for 40k gallons. My pool is somewhere in the range of 38k-40k gallons, would I be pushing the limit?
5. Anything else I should consider?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!