Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever tried this SWG?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone ever tried this SWG?

My 2005 Turbo-Cell T-Cell-15 just died (yes, I got a lot of years out of the old girl!) and I need to get a replacement. Prices for the Hayward is a little on the steep side, but I found this "generic" one on ebay for a lot less with a 5 year warranty!

Hayward Aquarite T-15 Generic Replacement Cell - 15ft cord - 5 YR Warranty

Anyone ever had any experience with this cell, and if so, what was the outcome?

Thanks
    Ed
    1) Pool built 2005, approx 17k gallons (Click HERE for a picture of this money pit!)
    2) Equipment: Pentair Intelli-Touch System i5, Pentair MiniMax NTLN Model 400DV Heater, Pentair CCP520 4 Cartridge filter, Aqua Rite 6D22 Chlorine Generator, Turbo-Cell T-Cell-15
    3) Pumps: Pool - Pentair Whisperflow WFE-8 (2 HP), Spa - Pentair Whisperflow WFE-6 (1.5 HP), Water Fall - Pentair Whisperflow WFE-3 (.75 HP), Vacuum: Hayward Navigator 925C

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Anyone ever tried this SWG?

I got 7+ years out of my last Hayward T-15 cell and it cost me $300 to replace it with a genuine Hayward T-15 cell. That makes my annual cost about $40. No way would I ever risk buying an off brand replacement in an effort to save a few dollars.

Even at $400 a genuine T-15 cell works out to $53 per year.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

As you can see from the eBay listing, that seller has zero sales and reviews, even tho he has been a member since July 2014. Odd (and somewhat risky given no history of any prior sales).
    Pool: 13k gal. in-ground; Stonescape Mini Pebble - Tropics Blue; Connected Spa - dual spill-over; Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG; AquaLogic PS-4 Automation; Sta-Rite DE Filter; Sta-Rite Max-e-Therm 400k BTU pool heater; Intellifo 2-VST Pump; Stenner 45mp2(25psi/10gpd) acid injection; Bulbwizard color LED pool lights; Poolvergnuegen 2 wheel side suction cleaner; FAFCO rooftop solar. TF-100 w/ speed stir.

4. Back To Top    #4

I wouldn't go near that eBay deal or seller. JMHO

~14K gallon - AquaRite AQR15 SWG - pool Newly plastered on April 9 2016
    TF100 kit - STA-RITE SYSTEM3 Modular Media Filtration - Model S8M150
    Pool water supply from on site water well = CH of ~350 and TA of ~350
    Doheny's Discovery Automatic Robotic Cleaner/Pentair Model 011018 VS Pump
    Sundance Altamar Hot tub separate from pool / central Oklahoma

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys. Your input is much appreciated.

On a related note, can a SWG all of a sudden start working again??? A few days ago when I posted the above question, my salt was reading 2400 and the "Check Cell" light and the "Check Salt" light was on. (My water sample results from my local Leslie's Pool said the salt was at 3500) I took the SWG to Leslie's and they tested it for me. It failed. However, this morning I went out and looked at the reading and it's now 3000! And it says "Generating" with NO "Check Cell" light!! So what the heck!? Is it now working again or is this just sporadic readings from a dead cell? I guess to be sure I should take it back to Leslie's for another test, but this has me baffled! I would think a dead cell would just stay at 2400 for my salt reading. Maybe even go lower.

Ed
    1) Pool built 2005, approx 17k gallons (Click HERE for a picture of this money pit!)
    2) Equipment: Pentair Intelli-Touch System i5, Pentair MiniMax NTLN Model 400DV Heater, Pentair CCP520 4 Cartridge filter, Aqua Rite 6D22 Chlorine Generator, Turbo-Cell T-Cell-15
    3) Pumps: Pool - Pentair Whisperflow WFE-8 (2 HP), Spa - Pentair Whisperflow WFE-6 (1.5 HP), Water Fall - Pentair Whisperflow WFE-3 (.75 HP), Vacuum: Hayward Navigator 925C

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't really know but what was your water temperature? Perhaps it stopped because the water was too cold. I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly to help you.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't know the exact temperature, but I DO know it was d@mn cold!!! Probably around 40 degrees. And right now it's showing the water temperature as being 56 degrees. AND, the salt level has now risen to 3100! So you may be on to something.

Ed

8. Back To Top    #8

I THINK if the water is below 50 it won't come on.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

9. Back To Top    #9

You're right. I just dug out my Aqua Rite operators manual and it says it stops generating when the water temperature is below 50 degrees (the "Generating" light flashes). However, this wouldn't explain why the cell failed the test when I took it to Leslie's. Also, their water report showed I had the following:

Free Available Chlorine - 0
    Total available chlorine - 0
    Salt - 3500
    Calcium hardness - 410
    Cyanuric acid - 30
    Total alkalinity - 80
    PH - 7.9
    Phosphates - 250

So going by this, I'm assuming I still have a dead cell because I have ZERO chlorine, right?

Ed

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Once my water temp drops below 60, I shut down the SWG and use bleach to chlorinate. As far as the readings from Leslie's, I believe nothing that any pool store says. For advice and expertise I depend on TFP, for test results, I have my trusted TF-100 test kit.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

I wouldn't trust their water tests. Do you have a test kit of your own? If not you should get one and run your own tests. Here is the link to the one most used here. TFTestkits.net
    Marla

12. Back To Top    #12

No, because I'm color blind I don't have any kits. I can't tell the differences in the small color changes in the charts the kits have. I have to rely on Leslie's for their read outs.

I wish someone would make a kit for us color blind folks!!

One of you smart pool guys should be able to figure something out for us!! AND, you'll make millions!!! There's a LOT of color blind men out there!

Ed

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Most of the test are titration tests. Instead of judging subtle color differences, you count the number of drops until there is a dramatic change. Most (even with a degree of color blindness) can do the majority of tests. The exception is the pH test, and for that I recommend purchase of a pH meter. They are inexpensive and pretty accurate.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ

14. Back To Top    #14

I would not assume the pool stores tests were wrong, it does not surprise me you would have zero chlorine if your salt water generator was not working due to low temperatures.

15. Back To Top    #15

I was under the assumption that SOME chlorine is needed, even in the winter, correct?

Ed

16. Back To Top    #16

Absolutely, you need proper sanitation all the time. I'm not sure how your chemistry is, but if it requires 5 ppm of sanitizer that that's what you need to maintain. It probably will not take near as much chlorine in the winter to maintain that number but nevertheless you still need to maintain the proper levels of sanitizer. Somebody with much more experience may have something to add, but I am pretty sure that is correct.

17. Back To Top    #17

Good, because yesterday afternoon I used the POOLMATH page to calculate what I needed, and added a gallon of Clorox bleach (7.9% available chlorine) to the pool to increase the FC level to 4.

Ed

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

Yes, although it's not quite as critical that the proper level is maintained.

1. There is little to no growth of algae at the lower water temps.
    2. No one is going to get sick from swimming in water that isn't properly sanitized.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ

19. Back To Top    #19

We're having a heat wave in So Cal (in the upper 80's for the next several days), so I wanted to start getting a handle on this. The air temp (2:00 west coast time) is 84 and the water temp is 59. The salt content now says 3200, so it's coming up slowly!!

Ed

20. Back To Top    #20

Ok, I just had my water tested again (Leslie's) and everything looks good except my CYA. It's only 20 and it needs to be at 80. What do you guys use for conditioner? That stuff they sell at Leslie's (PhosFree) is really expensive!

Here's todays results:

Free Available Chlorine - 3
    Total Available Chlorine - 3
    Salt - 3700 (High, but hopefully we'll get some rain soon to dilute it!! We're still in a bad drought here in So Cal so I really don't want to put the hose in there!)
    Calcium Hardness - 330
    Cyanuric Acid - 20
    Total Alkalinity - 80 (right on the edge so I may have to bring that up a little)
    PH - 7.5
    Phosphates - 100 (right on the edge so I may have to bring that down a little)

This is MUCH improved over last weeks readings, and the only thing I did was add 2 gallons of Clorox (one last weekend and one on Wednesday) and a half gallon of muriatic acid last Saturday night.

Ed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast