DIY Solar Circulation Pump

Sabot

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2007
Austin, TX
This has been a topic that I have been kicking around for years. During the cooler months, I can get away with reduced hours on my main pool pump when the pool is not in use. I am researching ways to move water without using grid power. I am not wanting to filter the water, just move it. Do the slower months, I use chlorine floaters. Finding an inexpensive PV-Direct DC pump is the challenge. My thoughts: PV array---> 12/24v DC pump. Pump does not have to be large to turn the water daily. Any ideas/suggestions/key words to help us search for the equipment? :)

I love the Savior Pool Filter concept but not the price tag: Savior Solar Pool Pump and Filter. Nice, self contained unit. I don't like the pump tho. They use a Rule Bilge Pump which might last six months to a year. Yearly pump ($40 Amazon) replacement on top of the $500 is not sitting right with me.

Another...

Pool Eliminator
Yahoo $560 or Pond Eliminator $400

So... my challenge is to build something that is less than the above... Equal to or better performance.

Here is what I found so far:

6 GPM Solar Hot Water Pump - Can be run by a 25 Watt solar panel by US Solar Pumps ($147) (On the Amazon page, you have to select the 6.0 GPM Stainless pump)
Amazon.com: 2.6 GPM Solar Hot Water Pump - Can be run by a 10 Watt solar panel: Home Improvement

Renogy 30 Watts 12 Volts Monocrystalline Solar Panel ($70)
Amazon.com : Renogy 30 Watts 12 Volts Monocrystalline Solar Panel : Patio, Lawn Garden

Total $217.00

6 GPM = 360 GPH
6 GPM = 8,640 GPD
6 GPM = 3,156,000 GPY

Thoughts?

I am failing to see the point. If you are not filtering, why do you want the water moving? In the cooler months you may only need to run your pump for an hour to circulate chemicals which is not much power.

I run my Intelliflo at 1100 rpm for solar standby, skimming, filtering and making chlorine with the SWG and it uses 150 watts. My electricity costs 10.25c/kWh. You can run your Intelliflo pump for 4 hours a day for less than 2 bucks per month.

Since I didn't know the cost of the solar circulation pump, I didn't know the ROI. Now that I know the basic numbers, I agree it does not make sense. It would have been a fun little project! :)

I have my Intelliflo set to 1000 rpm and on the watt meter is from 130 to 150 watts. How can I do the math to figure out how much watts it's using per hour?

While playing around with the pump settings, found that I can run it as low as 450 rpm.

**** Update *****
Just found the Pentair calculator: Residential Pool Pump Savings Calculator | PENTAIR

$32.97 per year
$2.75 per month

You're on the right track there. 150 watts works like this. 150w*4 hours = 600 watts/1000=0.6 kWh x your rate 10.25c= $0.0615/day

I have tried to justify solar a few times and I can never get close. You just have to want it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.