Raise CYA

What is the best way to raise CYA? I've got stabilizer in a sock but how long should I leave it in there? I don't think I have any CYA.

You "don't think"? Have you tested for it?

We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry

Depending on the brand, the stabilizer should all be dissolved anywhere between a day and a week. You can either set the sock in the skimmer basket (as long as it doesn't starve the pump and you leave the pump on the whole time) or suspend it in front of a return. Either way works. The key is to get a lot of water forced through it.

How did you test for CYA?

If you or the pool service or the previous owners chlorinated with pucks, you have some CYA in the water. If it's just been filled, you won't have any, because CYA doesn't exist in nature and shouldn't be in any municipal water systems.

A couple possibilities for the CYA sock.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I did a cya addition in a day.

I put the sock in the skimmer basket, pump running and let it sit for 4 hours.

After that time the cya was very squishy, i kept squeezing it in every direction
while submerged in the skimmer and it was totally dissolved within 10 minutes.

I did have sore forearms the next day!

Hello Texgal! Looks like we have similar type pools and equipment. When you get a chance, please update your TX location (city). As you can expect, there's a big temperature difference between DFW and San Antonio. :) You'd be surprised how much that helps as we review your posts. As for the CYA - happy soaking! :) Have a nice weekend.

Thank you for the pictures, that was very helpful. Mine is in the skimmer (I had nothing to tie too) but I'm worried about it. I will use your suggestions!

QUOTE=Richard320;964619]Depending on the brand, the stabilizer should all be dissolved anywhere between a day and a week. You can either set the sock in the skimmer basket (as long as it doesn't starve the pump and you leave the pump on the whole time) or suspend it in front of a return. Either way works. The key is to get a lot of water forced through it.

How did you test for CYA?

If you or the pool service or the previous owners chlorinated with pucks, you have some CYA in the water. If it's just been filled, you won't have any, because CYA doesn't exist in nature and shouldn't be in any municipal water systems.

A couple possibilities for the CYA sock.

attachment.php

attachment.php
[/QUOTE]

- - - Updated - - -

I filled the little tube up to the top and could still see the dot a bit. We have had a lot of rain (thus a lot of draining) this year. Initially I was thrilled with it as I had the opposite problem with really high CYA. In any case, I'm happy to be "adding" rather than draining.

- - - Updated - - -

tim5055,

Yes, I have read the ABC's and have the test kit. I'm totally fine with the kit, EXCEPT the CYA test, which I don't like because numbers is more to my liking. Guess I don't trust myself on seeing the blasted dot.

You "don't think"? Have you tested for it?

We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry

In my experience, it may take up to a week for CYA to show up on the test. Then too, if you squished the sock into the skimmer, most of your CYA is probably in the filter, so don't backwash or you'll lose what is in there. Addition of solid CYA tends to be a character builder......

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh yeah, we're just about neighbors really. I'm just on the other side of town. Chilly today. :) Cooler water temps mean easier pool maintenance - for now. Good that you are testing on your own as opposed to relying on the local pool store. Make sure to ask any questions you have as the season approaches. Stay warm!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.