Pressure Gauge Reading Zero

pedsrn

May 29, 2007
Alabama
Pressure gauge reading zero. Purchased/installed a new one, still reading zero. Good, strong pressure coming from return. Just changed sand last week.

Any suggestions? Is there a way it's clogged where the gauge screws in?? If so, how do I clean it?

Thanks!

mdhwoods's suggest is a good one, check the main valve position first.

It is also possible something is blocking the pressure gauge connection. One possibility is that teflon tape got wrapped around the bottom of the gauge pipe threads, blocking the flow.

My pressure gauge is also reading zero. I just re-taped it following the teflon tape guidelines, and it seemed to screw in very cleanly, but I'm still not 100% sure there's no tape inside there. If there was some tape on the bottom of the gauge, but not covering the hole, would that cause a problem?

I have a sand filter. I can see water coming through all the pipes and there's strong pressure from the returns. I recall that the PB replaced the pressure gauge last year, so I wonder if something about my system causes them to fail? Also, it sat in my garage all winter and it got down to -30F ... any chance that killed it?

Gauges tend to break, especially if they freeze. Sometimes they survive the winter just fine, other times they don't. Fortunately they are inexpensive to replace.

The teflon tape would need to completely cover the end of the pipe for there to be any chance of it interfering.

One way to check it to remove the guage and turn on the pump. If you get a strong stream of water comming out then it is definitely the guage, if not then the port is clogged.

Oh, make sure you get out of the way first. :lol:

I replaced my pressure gauge and the new one works. However, it is reading lower than I recall the last one reading. Do they vary? Or could I have a leak somewhere? I think mine read about 19 psi last year, and it's reading 15 psi now. I don't remember for sure what it was last year ... I should have written it down!

The old one may not have been correct since it is now broken so I would go by what the new one is telling you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pressure reading will change as the filter collects dirt but it should drop back down to the same spot after cleaning. Also, valve settings can also change the PSI of the filter depending on what is being turned on or off.

So with a clean filter and the same valve settings, the gauge should read about the same PSI each time.

It's reading about 15 while filtering, then changes while backwashing, rinsing, when drawing water only from the skimmer, etc. But it always returns to 15 again. This is a new gauge, as of today. Last year, the PB installed a new gauge at the beginning of the season too ... but if my memory is right, I recall that the "steady" number last year was 19. Do pressure gauges vary by that much? Or is my memory probably bad?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.