Feb 5, 2016
Antioch, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello -

Wondering if someone can assist me with some questions about Chlorine.

Home Depot is selling chlorine under the HDX brand which is KemKlor 10%. I had someone do my pool service during start up and left a bottle of hypochlorite solution 12% which I am guessing is 2% better than the Home Depot Brand.

If I am a DIY type of guy, is there any negative uses to using the HDX 10% vs a professional pool person who can use 12%?

MSDS of HDX KemKlor http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/3a/3aba0d4c-6e88-4dcd-8d27-d66c1add3bb3.pdf

I also am using a Taylor complete High kit and AquaCheck 7 test strips

Just to verify my test I have also gone to Leslie Pools and had them test my water to just make sure I am ok. Probably overkill with extra testing.

The only thing Leslie's does additional is Phosphorus testing. I keep the pool clean very few leaves during the winter but my POS level was 2000 or greater. I have been using Phos Free from Natural Chemistry and got those #s under 300.

Keep with the PhosFree during the summer or use an algaecide or both?

my last test from Leslie's was

FAC - 4
TAC - 4
CH - 230
CYA - 50
TA - 80
PH - 7.6
COPPER - 0
IRON - 0
TSD - 2000
PHO 300

1 question when using the poolmath it is asking for type of cholorine. trichlor,dichlor, cal-hypo 48%. . . . what one do I select?

Thanks for your help.
Tim

Hello and welcome to TFP. You'll probably receive a couple main inputs right away:
1 - Never reply on test strips or the local pool store tests for more reasons than one. Most important - lack of consistent accuracy; plus they tend to push customers towards products not needed for your water to be balanced (i.e. Phosphate removers). I would strongly encourage you to consider ordering a TF-100 (Taylor reagents) or Taylor K-2006 test kit from TFTestkits.net.
2 - Chlorine is chlorine (sodium hypochlorite). Look for that active ingredient. Higher % can have their advantage (less required per application) as long as the bleach is not too old on the shelf. Otherwise, most folks who do manual feeding (like me) simply get the generic (regular) bleach from local stores like Wal-Mart or the grocery store (8.25%). If HD/Lowes has a better deal, grab it. Just make sure it's regular bleach. No scentless, splashless, or anything else fancy. Hope that helps. Oh .... and welcome again to TFP! :wave:

On the Poolmath calculator , you'll want to ensure you enter the correct % for the liquid bleach you have (i.e. 6%, 8.25%, etc). The other items are used more for folks who use tablets/pucks, and such. You'll hear more about that as time goes on here at TFP. Those tablets can be harmful to your chemistry if not used properly. Please see the TFP Pool School and Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry for more on that. Hope that helps.

Pretty much anywhere you can get Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach, liquid chlorine, or whatever euphemism), you'll be fine. Most of us choose a mixture of strength, convenience, and price as a determiner.... Bear in mind that chlorine has a half-life and you want to ensure it is fresh.... each bottles is stamped with a date.

Here is a CALCULATOR that should help you make an informed decision.... packaging, strengths, and prices get pretty convoluted.

And, if you have a complete Taylor kit, I think most of us would recommend throwing the guess strips away....:D

PS

Ooops, almost missed that. Choose liquid chlorine and the proper percentage.

Thanks -

I am using a Taylor K-2005 kit. When going to Leslie's I do notice that the products they are selling under their brand is the same as Natural Chemisty that I can buy online at almost 1/2 the price.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the calculator recommendation. I did call the HDX help line and they were great telling me what boxes were fresh chlorine and how to read the stamped codes.

When going to Leslie's I do notice that the products they are selling under their brand is the same as Natural Chemisty that I can buy online at almost 1/2 the price.

Hang with us and do some reading..... you'll never have to go to the pool $tore or anywhere el$e, we'll tell you how to buy all the pool chemicals you need from the grocery stores and the big box stores at significant savings. (Except stabilizer.)

Thanks for the calculator recommendation. I did call the HDX help line and they were great telling me what boxes were fresh chlorine and how to read the stamped codes.

Somebody will chime in with a link to the list that is the date key to a lot of different stores.............

You're welcome. You can continue to use the K-2005 test kit, but you may want to consider adding to it with the FAS-DPD testing portion (R-0870 power and R-0871 drops). It is much more accurate for chlorine testing. You can also get it from the same website listed above. As for pool chemicals, we rely solely on Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals. This list will meet 99% or your needs for safe, crystal clear water. Best part is most of these items are at your local grocery store .... cheaper than most other places. :)

I am sure you will get a lot more advice here on the side points you bring up, so I am going to stick with answering the main question.

The first thing you need to know is that liquid chlorine / bleach looses strength over time as it outgases, also storage condition matters as it looses strength faster if stored in a hot location. So freshness and climate control count, most bleach will have a manufacture date code printed on the bottles, it is wise to check this when buying (usually the format will include year, day of year and plant code where it was made, which is often a state abbreviation and a number), and only buy from sources with higher turnover rate. In addition to this the stronger it is the faster it looses potency. So you should be careful particularly this time of year that any 10-12% pool chlorine is fresh, and not left over from last year, as the left over stuff may be weaker than the fresh 8% bleach from the grocery store.

Personally around here I would never buy liquid pool chlorine from HD as I KNOW my local HD buys it in bulk and stores it outdoors in the garden center, and have watched shrink wrapped pallets sit outside there for YEARS. Other members here have reported the same sort of activity at their HD stores. While this may not be true of all HD stores it does seem to be a real issue with many of them.

Ike

HI! Have you EVER found the right place for you pool care! We are ALL about DIY!

I have a link for you to keep you OUT of the pool stores!

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Notice it does not say anything about phos-free or such.............we have found through LOTS of science and daily use the phos. amount has little or no bearing on a clear pool. If the other levels are good, your pool should be good!

Please feel free to ask any and all questions you might have!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.