Ok ok
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
I am looking for some advice on a new pool filter system. Currently I have a StaRite S8M150 system 3 with three element filters. The filter, as you can see, is very weathered and looks very poor. The previous owner neglected everything, and I have cleaned the element filters once but they do need to be replaced. Rather than spending the money on replacing them I am going to replace the entire filter. Currently the pool is just sitting there, as it is due to be re-plastered so I have time to make changes prior to that happening. Other than circulating for freeze protection, It is not being maintained at present. I live in Oklahoma, I am not a native, and I have had people here recently tell me that due to the red dirt and wind that a element type filter is not a good choice. I think I am leaning toward a sand filter, but that is where I need help from this forum. I want to buy a good filter, but of course I want to do it as economically as possible because I am likely going to be changing out a few other things such as motors, and switching to a SWG. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to buy something really cheap and regret it, I want a decent filter at a fair price. Currently it is a chlorine pool, but will be converted to a saltwater generator system after the time allowed for replastering has passed. Estimated pool size is 16 to 18,000 gallons, but I don't know for sure as it is odd shaped so I am having a hard time calculating the volume. Close as I can tell I would think 20,000 gallons would be absolute maximum. Any recommendations, or equipment to stay away from will be appreciated. Thanks everybody, I know I have multiple threads going but I am a new pool owner and have tons of questions. I will say this, I have learned a lot and very much appreciate everybody here, thank you all for that.
Mark
bef5b860a574127c0697a6668e1a05ae.jpg
ac795ff44371d5b762e6abc759374ada.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All three types of filters have their advantages and disadvantages. If you have any questions about which type of filter you want, there is an excellent article comparing the three.
Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison

As far as size, when it comes to filters, size matters. A bigger filter will always require less maintenance. I can't be of much help with comparing specific brands, but I haven't seen any comments about ones that are much better or worse. I'm not so sure that the first investment in changing out the equipment should be the filter. An old weathered outside means little. If you replace the filter elements, and the valves are in good shape, functionally, you have a new filter.

If you have older single speed pumps, changing to a new variable speed or at least a two-speed will yield significant savings. The only caution is that, with a two speed you would need to be sure the low speed would operate the SWG you are going to use. With a VS you can dial in any speed you need for any task.

The problem with all your threads running simultaneously is people see the user name and think, "I've already responded to "Lykly" and do not need to open his thread" You get overlooked.

Please keep your questions under one thread and get a good consensus to your first question and then ask another.....still in the same thread......it just works better when people can see your whole "story".

Thanks duraleigh, I understand, and my apologies. Trouble is I already have all these threads, should I delete them and just start a new one? I'm afraid I've already got quite a mess. Last thing I want is to get overlooked, I will soon be replastering my pool and will need to lean heavily on the experts here during that process. Again my apologies for creating a mess here.

I'm not so sure that the first investment in changing out the equipment should be the filter. An old weathered outside means little. If you replace the filter elements, and the valves are in good shape, functionally, you have a new filter.

with a two speed you would need to be sure the low speed would operate the SWG you are going to use. With a VS you can dial in any speed you need for any task.

Thanks Chiefwej,
Maybe I should just try giving the filter outside a fresh coat of paint and replace the filters. That is a good option because what you say definitely makes sense. I will just have to check and see if the one I have is adequate sized. Based on the previous owner other decisions I'm not so sure.

Your advice on the variable speed pump makes sense as well. I am so used to trying to do things myself, I hate to think about hiring somebody to do it but I'm at the point where I think I better just call a pool service company and have them look things over. I will bombard this place with too many questions trying to do it myself.

should I delete them and just start a new one?
Probably the best thing to do right now is to just leave the others and stay in this thread.

Tonight, I will go over them and consolidate what I can without losing context. One of the other Mods may do it before I get back but just stay in this thread for now.....we'll get it all squared away

Thank you, the only thing I might ask is when I actually do the replaster I may want a thread on its own. That one is likely to have a lot of specific questions concerning only that as the job goes on. Thx

Thanks Chiefwej,
Maybe I should just try giving the filter outside a fresh coat of paint and replace the filters. That is a good option because what you say definitely makes sense. I will just have to check and see if the one I have is adequate sized. Based on the previous owner other decisions I'm not so sure.

Your advice on the variable speed pump makes sense as well. I am so used to trying to do things myself, I hate to think about hiring somebody to do it but I'm at the point where I think I better just call a pool service company and have them look things over. I will bombard this place with too many questions trying to do it myself.

Poeple on this forum love being bombarded with questions. In fact you would do a lot better to get your advice from the forum than from any local pool service (that may have a vested interest in replacing your equipment). Here you will find many, many, pool owner with many years of experience. There are also pool professionals and others that are experts in water chemistry and other areas.

Thanks Chiefwej,

From the manual your filter is 450sqft, that should be fine as far as the size is concerned. New carts would be the cheapest option if that is the only thing that needs replacing.

A large sand filter might make filter maintenance easier in the long run with a pool that gets a lot of fine dust. A 30" sand filter that holds 600lbs of sand would be a good fit.

If you do decide to replace the cartridge I had good luck with using Pleatco replacement filter cartridges. They work quite a bit better than my OEM Pentair filter cartridges.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks pooldv, I will see if I can find the replacement part numbers, so far I have not had much luck. One other question, I am sure these are the original filters, which are probably approximately 10 -12 years old, how do I know when they need to be replaced? I have remove them and rinse them off twice, the first time they were unbelievably dirty, the second time not so much but they do not turn nice and white either. Is there any way of knowing if they need replacement? Just a reminder, my pool is not in operation waiting on a plaster job. It does circulate for freeze protection.

They will gradually turn darker over time. But, the main key is whether or not your filter pressure drops after cleaning and how fast they clog up again. 12 years is a pretty good run, I'd go ahead and get another set. Pleatco has a pretty good filter cross reference guide. They also have real live people there who can help at their 800 number.

I am a little bit concerned about my pressure gauge. It never seems to move much if at all. Also when I open the petcock on top to bleed air out after I clean it, once it becomes all water it does not seem like a very hard stream? Could this be due to bad filter restricting flow to the petcock on top? Or would that have anything to do with it? That is another concern I have, I hate to spend $400 in element to discover my filter is not working properly. It looks pretty simple, I guess it either works or it doesn't? Not much to go wrong other than the elements by the looks of things.

OK, I just went out there and the gauge was reading about 2 PSI. I shut the pump off and it went to zero. I turn the pump back on it is now jumped up to 5 psi. That is as high as I've ever seen it. I'm guessing I must have a bad gauge? Or the fact that I do not have a very strong water stream at the bleeder valve, maybe is plugged up? The bleeder valve is directly above the gauge.
9cf91bafc5a8826664e6024827c36433.jpg

If you do decide to replace the cartridge I had good luck with using Pleatco replacement filter cartridges. They work quite a bit better than my OEM Pentair filter cartridges.

Just a FYI, I did call Pleatco and at this time they do not make a replacement filter for my particular system. (StaRite system 3) I appreciate the heads up, they said they hope to have them in the near future.

Just a FYI, I did call Pleatco and at this time they do not make a replacement filter for my particular system. (StaRite system 3) I appreciate the heads up, they said they hope to have them in the near future.

Thanks for the feedback. Time to shop for a sand filter?

Thanks for the feedback. Time to shop for a sand filter?

That was my initial thought. I called StaRite to ask some questions concerning my filtration system, and after talking to them, it sounds like the system is really a pretty good system with a large filtration area. He said it is one of their better systems, for whatever that is worth. I know it's not the most convenient system, but I can replace the filters for around $400 so I think I'll just go that route. My concern was not only the hassle to get to the filters but I thought it could be old and not doing a good job. After learning how it all works, it seems by replacing the filters there's not much else to be wrong. I have a PB that was recommended to me coming by to look over my entire system, hopefully he can help me figure out how to get everything in order. My goal is to reduce the number of pumps I have, one being the pressure side cleaner pump which I will replace with a robot, and I also want to add a SWG. So hopefully my filter is sufficient where it does not have to be changed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.