Motor just hums... won't start

Feb 4, 2016
Wellington, FL
Moderator note - Moved from this post: Help. Motor just hums... won't start - Page 2

Just installed a new century 1 HP last night - worked fine when complete.
Came out this morning to find it off even though on timer. Let it cool a bit and it started humming. Pulled it from the pump and found the impeller not moving but able to turn. Made different noises based on turn position.

Then I spun it quickly and it started working.

Of course I put back into place and again it does work just hums.

Does the Cap give it an extra shot of power on start up? Does this sound like the issue?

Like to know if I have any options before buying another motor.

Thanks

Joe

I will also point out that until you get the pump sorted out remember you need to find a way to circulate the water and keep the chlorine level up. Even in "winter", pool water in Palm Beach County doesn't get cold enough to keep the algae

Hmm.....something is amiss if it smoked the capacitor on the first day.

Did it get rained on? Although it is a pool pump for water, I've found that these things still don't like getting wet. Might not hurt to hit all of the electrical connections with silicone grease too, since you have high humidity in FLA.

Did you replace a 220V setup with a 115V motor by accident?

I 2nd getting a warranty replacement, and I'd recommend spending $15 or $20 and getting a spare capacitor anyway. At least this way you have one on hand "just in case"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.