Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Motor just hums... won't start

1. Back To Top    #1

Wellington, FL

Motor just hums... won't start

Moderator note - Moved from this post: Help. Motor just hums... won't start - Page 2

Just installed a new century 1 HP last night - worked fine when complete.
    Came out this morning to find it off even though on timer. Let it cool a bit and it started humming. Pulled it from the pump and found the impeller not moving but able to turn. Made different noises based on turn position.

Then I spun it quickly and it started working.

Of course I put back into place and again it does work just hums.

Does the Cap give it an extra shot of power on start up? Does this sound like the issue?

Like to know if I have any options before buying another motor.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Silicon Valley, CA

Re: Motor just hums... won't start

Quote Originally Posted by jsheehan3 View Post

Just installed a new century 1 HP last night - worked fine when complete.
    If it is new, i wouldn't waste time with it. Warranty it!

Does the Cap give it an extra shot of power on start up?
    Without getting complicated, yes.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Columbia, SC

I will also point out that until you get the pump sorted out remember you need to find a way to circulate the water and keep the chlorine level up. Even in "winter", pool water in Palm Beach County doesn't get cold enough to keep the algae
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Tempe, Az

Hmm.....something is amiss if it smoked the capacitor on the first day.

Did it get rained on? Although it is a pool pump for water, I've found that these things still don't like getting wet. Might not hurt to hit all of the electrical connections with silicone grease too, since you have high humidity in FLA.

Did you replace a 220V setup with a 115V motor by accident?

I 2nd getting a warranty replacement, and I'd recommend spending $15 or $20 and getting a spare capacitor anyway. At least this way you have one on hand "just in case"
    28K Gallon old-skool plaster hole in the back yard in desperate need of an acid wash and a fixed skimmer diverter (yes, it's still broken)
    Hayward SuperPumpVS pushing some giant hayward cartridge filter setup
    SharcVacXL and Zodiac G2 to keep things clean

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide
    Hudson, WI

Welcome to the forum jsheehan3

Please add your pool and equipment info into your signature as outlined here - - > Pool School - Getting Started
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. May 20 - opened for summer
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit -
    Please help keep the lights on so we can be here for others, become a TFP Supporter!