Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Well, it's started again.....

1. Back To Top    #1

Well, it's started again.....

Well, it's started again..... weather has warmed significantly and we're beginning to see those big rains of Spring. So, I removed the first guest of the season from the skimmer:

http://bio.davidson.edu/herpcons/her...p/Ran_cap.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Well, it's started again.....

Well hello there Hoppy the frog!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by ewkearns View Post
    Well, it's started again..... weather has warmed significantly and we're beginning to see those big rains of Spring. So, I removed the first guest of the season from the skimmer:

http://bio.davidson.edu/herpcons/her...p/Ran_cap.html
    Ugh! I hate frogs in my pool.

Last year I fished out four of them. I found two of them together once in the pool getting....ah-hem....."frisky" with one another. I yelled at them to get a room somewhere else....I had nightmares of waking up one morning to find an explosion of tadpoles forming in my pool.

And, dang!! Those things can move under water. Sheesh, it was quite an effort trying to capture them with the leaf rake...
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

4. Back To Top    #4

Let the fun begin! I must pull-put 20-30 frogs per season, 30 or so scorpions, a half-doze mice, and a couple snakes each year. It's basically a Wild Kingdom episode at our place - for those who remember that show.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Had a little frog in my skimmer last october...no idea how that happened...the nearest bog is half a mile away.
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

We're surrounded by swamp and the Shallotte river... we get lots of guests. Deer, lizards, alligators (none in the pool, thankfully), raccoon, opossums, goofy tree climbing crabs, frogs, toads, snakes, and scary big bugs and spiders. A couple of weeks ago I found raccoon tracks leaving the pool (saved me the trouble of getting him out). When it rains really hard, the critters get confused and just wander everywhere. Our last huge rain event (the one that drowned Columbia, SC) brought 16-17 frogs into the pool over one night. I never have figured out what, about the skimmer, so fascinates spiders, but I toss out 2-3 every morning, in the summer.

7. Back To Top    #7

we go through about 6 lizards each year.
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

8. Back To Top    #8

Oddly, although we have anoles plastered all over the house and running across the deck, I've only had one go swimming and I was standing at the other end of the pool when he splashed into the water. The other lizards have been more well behaved.....

green_anole_lizard.jpg

9. Back To Top    #9

Get frogs, spiders and lizards in the skimmer but battling a terrible copperhead problem mainly under my storage shed next to pool. I've even had to hire a snake extermination company that comes out each month.
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

10. Back To Top    #10

We've had a few non-venomous snakes, but no cottonmouths or copperheads, yet.... hopefully, they'll stay closer to the river where food is more plentiful. They are seriously aggressive and NO fun...

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Snakes really don't like moth balls. Try crushing a few and spread them around where you are seeing the snakes.

12. Back To Top    #12

Copperhead? Scary! They are SO pretty but mean! I found one on our property. He no longer lives here or any where for that matter.

How long do you think it will take to get the rest of the nest? What do they do each month? How many have they found so far?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

If they are hibernating, copperheads will often bunk with other types of snakes. Some, good, some, not so good....

14. Back To Top    #14

I've never had anything but birds in my pool.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter