DIN Outlet in Load Center

DBB

Jul 8, 2015
Frisco/TX
I want to add some electronics out at the equipment pad, and will need to plug in the power adapter somewhere. I was thinking about adding a DIN outlet to the rail inside my Compool enclosure, which should house everything nicely.

Has anyone done this, and if so, have you had any issues?

On a similar note on the low voltage side, the Compool transformers feed 10, 18, and 24 VAC to the EasyTouch control board. Is it feasible to tap into these if those voltages might be needed in the future, provided of course any future loads don't create a significant voltage drop at the board?

-DBB

Sorry my friend but If it anything like an intermatic box I did add the 20amp breaker with 20 amp GFI DIN for that same purpose. If they sale OEM rails for that box it should be fine but I would still look into you specific building codes for your area. ......

You need to do the load calculations, first, just to see if this is feasible, at all. If so, it sounds like a simple job, if grounded properly and meets code.

As for the transformers, personally, I'd feel better about adding transformers or a multitap, as needed, rather than wiring to the existing transformers. Again, math is required....:)

Neither of these are good ideas.

If you want an outlet at the pad wire in a good quality weatherproof box with an in use cover. It may be less expensive and it allows you to have something plugged in without your enclosure remaining open.

As suggested above this might be a good time to do math and see what you have to the panel and what is being used. I doubt there will be a problem, but it's worth checking.

I also generally agree it's best to leave the pool center transformers alone. They were sized for the job and your additional loads were not part of that calculation. In any case I prefer separate transformers that I control. If you have unused relays in your panel you could control the separate transformer off of them.

...allows you to have something plugged in without your enclosure remaining open.

Thanks, gwegan, but I'm not sure I follow... The DIN outlet would mount inside the enclosure, on the high voltage side. I probably wasn't clear, but the small piece of gear I'm plugging in (Autelis controller) would be buttoned up inside the enclosure, too, so nothing would remain open. I wasn't adding the outlet with the intention of having a general-use receptacle, as I have one of those already with the in-use cover, but that isn't practical or conducive to a more permanent install of my electronics, like I want to do inside the enclosure.

Agreed on not using the low voltage side for anything other than the circuit board.

Do you have the beige colored Compool load center? Or the black one?
If you have the beige, look on the side down near the bottom. You may see a knock out for an outlet that you can use for your project. I just have a bad feeling about setting up an outlet that will be enclosed with no easy way to access without having to use tools.

Yes, it will be tight, but I have a flat, right-angle plug that should work. While the DIN outlet has some depth to it, it doesn't appear to be any deeper than some of the other things in there. Probably won't work, but I'll just have to try it. It would be a great solution to my problem if it did. Not sure how to gain access to the keypad wiring connections for the Autelis device otherwise. The cable for the indoor Pentair control panel routes through conduit from the outside, and only surfaces in the house, and I can't mount the Autelis there...

Your point about enclosing an outlet and needing tools is well taken, too, by the way. I have outlets that the builder put in the attic, and while I don't necessarily need a tool to get to them, it does require a bit of effort to access. I'm looking at it from the standpoint that the enclosure is outdoor-approved for containing both high and low voltage wiring, and is in good condition.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.