We're very excited to have bought a home with an indoor pool - recently acid washed, tile completely re-grouted, new filter, new fill, currently being kept at about 60 degrees (since the house is unoccupied) and with crystal clear water.
Talked to the person currently maintaining the pool, and he's very easily managing to keep it at about 3 PPM of free chlorine right now - but nobody is swimming in it.
I'm not expecting to have to fix anything on taking possession (except temperature, of course) - but I will definitely be buying a proper test kit, and using the TFP method. I'm very comfortable with the chemistry.
This does lead to a question though - knowing that the pool loses very little free chlorine when things are in good shape, is it recommended to shock it with something other than chlorine (i.e. monopersulfate)? I've done a ton of reading on the forums, and this hasn't seemed to pop up anywhere. I'd hate to put the pool out of commission for a week waiting for it to come down from 10 PPM (if that's the shock level to use) if/when the time comes that SLAMing is necessary.
Thanks for any thoughts, and happy to be a new member!