[FINISHED] New Pool Build in Highland Village TX (Suburb of Dallas, TX)

Re: New Pool Build in Highland Village TX (Suburb of Dallas, TX)

NICE work so far!

yeah that test kit does not have the CYA test you need AND the FC (free chlorine) test is not as good as the one we use. It only goes up to 5 ppm and is done by matching color which is harder to do.

Please go ahead and order a good test kit so you have all of the tests you need. We want you to have a great start to your pool!

Kim

Clean up crew came out today. Yard is looking good. They will come back with sod after the pool is finished. I've got to get a section of my fence up to code. Hopefully I'll be able to get that done in the next couple of days.

IMG_2031_zpsbvsumwkz.jpg

Got my fence to code and got my test kit in the mail yesterday, Taylor 2006 per recommendation. I think we are scheduled for plaster on Monday and Aquabright on Wednesday.

I've been reading in the pool school section and ive noted some minor changes in recommended level based on finish type. Do y'all think I should try to keep my levels as a plaster, fiberglass or vinyl pool levels? The Aquabright finish is supposed to be chemically inert. It is a thermal plastic resin. Literature says fill, balance, swim. No need for any special start up like with traditional plaster. Here is the website with details.

http://www.ecopoolfinish.com

Interesting product, can't wait to see how it performs over time. I would keep it like plaster, that will work fine. Going to read their website some more, might be back to post more.

Now that you almost have a pool it is time to add your info to your sig as shown here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post

Update:
Either fiberglass or plaster chemistry level will be fine. Fiberglass has slightly lower CH and ecopool recommends min CH of 200 ppm.

Hmm thats weird. My sig. is in the previous post. Thanks pooldv, I guess i could have done a little more thorough searching of their site myself ;).

So it says in the start up phase to balance with Trichlor and then maintain levels at

FC 1.0-3.0
pH 7.6
TA 120-150
CH 200-400

I'm guessing with our SWG we will try to keep the FC higher. They also recommend using Lithium Hypochlorite as a shock if needed. No recommendation for CYA levels given.

Hey Kim,

Yes, the builder has it in their model pool. I liked it a lot. Not rough, but not super smooth like fiberglass. It is one of the main reasons we went with our builder. ecofinish gives exclusive rights to select builders. I have a science background. All of their literature is logical to me. It is hard to find much info on the web about it. A fairly new product. I did find a source where a sea world applied it to one of their pools. What I haven't found anywhere is a negative opinion. Usually that is what shows up. People get mad enough they will post something somewhere.
I think I'm going to take off work the day they install it just to see that process. Basically looks like they flame throw it on.

One cool thing is they can do different colors. Our beach entry is going to be sand color and the rest of the pool a darker blue.

Kevin

Just make sure the show sig box is checked, sometimes it unchecks at first. But, once it gets checked it will stay checked forever. Glad to do the research, plus it is all fairly new for you I'm sure.

Knowing now that you have SWG you should maintain the water according to this page, Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs

I would skip the trichlor and add granular CYA to raise the cya and bleach to get the FC up as needed to help the SWG. I find it is much easier to leave the SWG set and supplement with bleach rather than tweaking the SWG run time and percentage every week. I usually adjust my SWG maybe once a month as the water temps increase. I turn my SWG off below 70 degrees and use bleach. SWGs do not work reliably in colder water.

More info here on chemicals and how to add them, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

We are gonna need some pics of that flame thrower action! :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Got my test kit in this weekend. Just ran through the series of test with our water to start familiarizing myself with the kit. Following are my numbers. CH is very high. Ran it twice to make sure.

FC = 0.5
CC = 2.0
pH = 8.0
TA = 140
CH = 90

Last edited:

Got my test kit in this weekend. Just ran through the series of test with our water to start familiarizing myself with the kit. Following are my numbers. CH is very high. Ran it twice to make sure.

FC = 0.5
CC = 2.0
pH = 8.0
TA = 140
CH = 900

Does the fill water come from a well? With CH levels that high, you may want to look into having 1/2-3/4 of the fill water trucked in and using a pool cover whenever possible to reduce evaporation.

Please do some research on the Nature 2 system. It uses tricolor pucks for chlorination which will quickly cause your CYA levels to rise to a point where the chlorine level required will become impractically high. The other downside to the system is the mineral cartridge that will add copper to your water and increase the chances of staining that new pool finish.

Oops...apparently I forgot how to do math.

CH should be 90

- - - Updated - - -

Does the fill water come from a well? With CH levels that high, you may want to look into having 1/2-3/4 of the fill water trucked in and using a pool cover whenever possible to reduce evaporation.

Please do some research on the Nature 2 system. It uses tricolor pucks for chlorination which will quickly cause your CYA levels to rise to a point where the chlorine level required will become impractically high. The other downside to the system is the mineral cartridge that will add copper to your water and increase the chances of staining that new pool finish.

Our nature 2 system is the salt water generator variety so no tricolor. I am aware of the potential problem with the mineral cartridge. I will probably do some investigations on how to modify the cartridge so that it is a dummy.

Oops...apparently I forgot how to do math.

CH should be 90

- - - Updated - - -

Our nature 2 system is the salt water generator variety so no tricolor. I am aware of the potential problem with the mineral cartridge. I will probably do some investigations on how to modify the cartridge so that it is a dummy.

Thats very good news on both accounts then!

Teaching time.........good job on running your numbers with you test kit! N0w tell me what you will need to do to "fix" a couple of numbers? Which numbers are off and how will you fix them?

Here are a couple of links to help you out:

Pool School - Recommended Levels

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

We can and will help you if needed but I bet you can figure it out from the above links. I have found people learn best by doing.

Kim (a teacher in real life LOL)

Ok Kim,

So in looking at TFP guidelines and ecofinish guidelines I'm going to start with my targets of (my current levels in parenthesis)

FC = 3-4 (0.5)
pH = 7.6 (8.0)
TA = 60-80 (140)
CH = 200-400 (90)
CYA = 60-80 (?)

So pH and TA are both high. Will be adding muriatic acid to bring both of those down. Bring up CH with calcium chloride. I will have to research more on pump run time and SWG to get FC in range it needs to be. Still need to figure my CYA levels.

We are scheduled for plaster Friday, ecoFinish prep on Saturday, and ecoFinish application Monday and Tuesday. Will begin filling Tuesday night or Wednesday.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.