HOw thick is the ice in the winter?

440dodge440

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 7, 2015
South Central PA
Anyone have any idea how thick the ice gets during the average winter? I know it can vary, just wondering if it's 1/2" or 5"...I'm in central PA, near the MD border. I think I'm going to need to drain some water soon. I have a mesh cover that's weighed down ice after the big snow, so I don't want to take any of the anchors off now- the springs are really loaded. I'm wondering if I can easily break the ice and use a submersible pump after the cover ice melts.

Yea, it depends. I would be very careful about breaking the ice. My strategy is to watch carefully for thaws so I can at least to a partial cover drain. I also bring my submersible and hose into the garage to de-ice them occasionally.

Even if you could safely break some of the ice I'm not sure you want to lower the water when there is much ice. It seems like you could get end up with ice suspended on something causing something to break or rip. I would wait until it mostly thaws and deal with lowering it then. We have a solid cover but I understand a mesh cover should have enough stretch or spring that most of the snow/ice weight is held up by the water/ice in the pool the same way a solid cover works. Last spring I watched pretty closely and the ice melted near the sides first so I was able to stick my hand in after it had melted back from the side some and found it was at least 4" thick on the edges even after a lot of melting. I would guess it is at least that thick now if not thicker as the average temp has been below freezing for a long time now. I am not sure how IA compares to PA but it seems like they would be similar.

Thanks...it's not so much the cover I'm concerned about. It's the pool getting too much water in it...In the area by the steps where the vinyl seam meets the steps, there appears to be a separation that would allow water out before the pool overflows (it's not an issue for normal water level). I want to get pictures and post on here for opinions, but that will have to wait until I can peel the cover back. I think you're right about ice suspended on something...that wouldn't be good....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.