Good Grief the Trouble to find a Raypak Installer (finally happening)

Oct 14, 2015
Dallas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
Ignoring my last few rant filled sad face posts, good news. I finally found a installer that would do a Raypak heater as well as all the necessary ventilation to get it up and running. A few comments regarding the setup I had.

10 foot high shed attached to house (painted, shingled). Pool equipment is inside. It is already plumbed with a Gas line.

Installer 1# We don't do raypak, we do Mastertemp

Installer 2# We can do raypak but we won't vent it. You'll have to hire a person to do it

Installer 3# We can do a raypak but we'll have to install it outside.

Installer 4# We can do raypak, but I can't find the proper 9 inch flue vent for it (spends 2 weeks looking for vent). I posted this on the forum board and 13 seconds later someone posts the proper vent. Same installer comes back and says (I just won't do a raypak anymore, I'll do a Jandy).

Installer 5 AND 6# I can give you a quote, but I charge a 75 dollar (200 dollar) service fee to come out to give you an estimate. We can forward that cost towards the cost of the installation.

So after digging I found a rink a dink small pool shop that has a construction crew on staff that they use to do installations. Cheryl (I like her), comes out, says "Yea I can do a Raypak, love them". Can do the ventilation, Can do the plumbing, can do the stack (at this point though, I just went out and bought the stack myself).

The total install will take roughly 3 days (they have to replumb the setup (fine by me)). They also had to raise the raypak heater about 3 inches so the drain it was under had room to both drain water and be cleaned (simple cinder blocks).

A few things I learned. Many... MANY pool installers have specific brands they use for both ease of install, repeated need for service calls, and also I believe some gain a incentive from the manufacturer (or a steeper discount) for using them. I'm a bit distrusting of people when the first thing they do is try to sell me off of what I want, for what they want.

I'll snap a few photos once the flue goes up so that people know what the heck a Raypak looks like with a flue attached (as well as receive comments if they completely Fked it up).

Frustration be gone, the Raypak is going in.

Wow, what an ordeal to get something you're paying someone good money to do.

Glad to hear it's what you want, the way you want it.

I'm a long time installer and I can tell you at least for me, I get NO breaks on prices for selling one brand over another. Retail stores might but not me.

Raypak was a good choice.

I'm a long time installer and I can tell you at least for me, I get NO breaks on prices for selling one brand over another. Retail stores might but not me.

Raypak was a good choice.

its just been hard to find someone to install the one I want vs the ones they repeatedly try to sell me. I honestly don't know why.

Yes, i try to sell the person what i usually install, mainly because i sell (what i think is) the best product (from experience) out there. I will however, upon request, sell AND install ANYTHING they would rather buy. I do also let them know that i wouldn't be able to do any warranty work on that product of their choice. Not because don't want to, it is because i can't. If im not a warranty station for it, i wont get paid to service it. I just can't be a warranty station for every product out there. Not to mention that it is a "hassle" to become a warranty station for a handful of products a year. To be a warranty station requires that you send the manufacturer all sorts of proof that you are legit: insured to a certain minimum level usually > 1 million, bonded, business/resale license, etc. I'm not wanting, or willing to do that for every manufacturer. I choose to have agreements with the manufacturers that i feel have quality products (see below). I would also say that at least 50% of the customers that decided to go with another product eventually come back.

With respect to venting, you should do your homework with anyone that you choose. I won't do it. It isn't because i don't want to do it. There is just too much liability in it.

Make sure that they are licensed, and know what they are doing (should be one in the same, right?). There is more to venting than just putting the flue together. It MUST be the right size, rise, have the proper termination fittings, etc. I can't stress enough how important it is to get the venting correct.

It doesn't do you much good to prove someone incompetent when you or someone has died form their work.

Just wanted to express this to everyone. Not all of us are lazy, or don't want the work. Sometimes its the liability(s) that wont let us.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.